Posted to dev@superset.apache.org by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/12 18:33:41 UTC

Superset 0.27.0rc1 is out **dashboard migration required**

Superset community,

This is to let you know that 0.27.0rc1 is out, and that 0.27.x will be a
branch allowing users to migrate their dashboards from dashboard v1 to v2.

A bit of background: the team at Airbnb has been doing amazing work around
completely re-designing and re-writing the dashboard portion of Superset.
The new version offers completely new interactions based on drag and drop,
tabs, nested content, and will allow us to support advancements like
"scoped filters" and other powerful dashboard-native components in the
future.

Version 0.27.x will ship with both dashboard v1 and v2 versions, and allow
users to migrate their dashboards on a case-by-case basis. The team at
Airbnb designed a workflow that guides dashboard owners into migrating
their dashboards individually. The process is pretty smooth, but in rare
cases where the old layout can't be mapped directly to the new one, user
may have to tweak things a little bit.

The workflow goes as follows: when owners open their dashboard, they are
prompted to show a preview under the v2 version. They can make adjustments
if needed, and proceed with saving the dashboard, which complete the
migration for that dashboard. They can also stick with v1, and viewers will
see the dashboard as it used to be in v1. This workflow insures that each
published dashboard looks good throughout the migration process.

The **upcoming** 0.28.x versions (where master currently is) fully
deprecates dashboard v1, and forces the [unattended] auto-conversion of all
dashboards.

I you are a Superset administrator and you run a production environment
that exposes mission critical dashboards, you want to take precautions
around the 0.27/0.28 migrations.  I'd recommend taking a database backup at
every deployment, and perhaps rehearsing/testing the process in temporary
environments, especially when dealing with release candidates.

In less critical environments, you may be able to go straight to 0.28.x and
simply use the auto-conversion and tell your users that they may have to
adjust the layout on some of their dashboards. The auto-conversion is very
reliable at this point, and requires very little adjustments. So for many,
skipping 0.27.x may just be a simpler path forward. In that case, I'd
recommend testing the 0.26 to 0.28 migration in a temp environment
(backup/restore your DB and deploy 0.28 against it, run migrations, ...)
make sure that most important dashboards look ok, and simply validate that
the jump can be made.

All of this is pretty tricky for me as the person packaging the open source
releases and I will need some help through the releases. Packaging releases
isn't easy, and this specific set of release is trickier than usual. Also
note that Lyft and Airbnb are already fully migrated to v2, and "on the
other side" of this by now, so the work I'm doing here packaging 0.27.x and
0.28.x is oriented towards the community.

Another note around the fact that pushing the project forward while keeping
backward compatibility in mind and providing migration paths can be tricky
at times, and the committers are constantly keeping this in mind and making
it as easy as possible for everyone to move forward. We want to make sure
organizations don't get stranded on previous versions.

Thanks to all contributors for the hard work, I hope everyone in the
community can push through and enjoy dashboard v2 soon!

Max

Re: Superset 0.27.0rc1 is out **dashboard migration required**

Posted by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com>.
Without any feedback from the community I'm releasing 0.27.0 as copy of
0.27.0rc1.

Planning on releasing 0.28.0 sometime this week.

Max