Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2014/02/08 05:36:14 UTC

Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Hi,

I've just made a RC1 of Apache Flex 4.12.0. It can be found here in a hour or two (how long it take to upload) . [1]  Once it's uploaded I change the installer script so it so also get it.

I'm not going to call a VOTE to make this an official release but just want to make sure everything is correct before we make the first real release candidate and VOTE on that.

Can you please:
- Check that file are signed correctly
- Check that you compile the SDK from the source release
- Review the README and RELEASE_NOTES. Is everything up to date?
- Check that the config files are correct
- Check that you can add the SDK in your IDE of choice
- Check that an existing project your are working can use the SDK
- That there are no known regression issues with previous version of the SDK

The more feedback we get the better this release will be.

There's a couple of outstanding things:
- The README does still need some updating
- What versions of the Flash Player / AIR do we want to test this SDK on? Can someone check what versions of we are currently testing against.
- This RC was compiled with Java 7 - is that going to cause any issue for people still using Java 6?

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flex/sdk/4.12.0/rc1

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Sean Thayne <se...@skyseek.com>.
Just a heads up on Pootle. I know it creates .properties files. I use it
for my own projects. The biggest pitfall I ran into was hooking it up to
mysql. I missed setting the db type to utf8_bin, and it took me hours of
debugging to find that was the problem. Other than that one caveat, it was
a easy setup.

The really nice thing about it is, it detects new translations, as well as
updated ones. And gives nice progress reports for each locale. It's the
system that Mozilla uses for all it's projects.

-Sean Thayne

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/12/14 8:32 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> It would be nice if folks could translate a few more locales.  Maybe
>>I'll give pootle a shot.
>When I looked at it I don't think it produces files in the format we need
>but certainly worth another  look.
>
>> But technically those don't have to hold up an SDK release.
>But you want to vote on and release the installer before the SDK right?
Yes.  And while ideally this installer would be the last release, I
suspect there'll be one more.

>>  Unless someone objects, I'll try to cut an Installer RC
>> tomorrow, just to get that process started.
>Sounds good - I can make another SDK RC this weekend (your Friday).
>
>> Do I have to use a special cert for an Installer RC?
>Yes.
>
>> I'd say the Poll about Linux installer is essentially done
>But you wont remove what's there until the new installer + SDK  have been
>voted on right?
Yup.  Old one stays until we've certified replacements for both the
Installer and the SDK.

>> and we should make the appropriate changes to the flex-sdk README
>>before cutting the
>> next RC
>Any takers? Testing it on Linux would be good as well.
TomChi said he'd do it.  He usually does his emails on the dev list while
I'm sleeping.  If he hasn't done it or given an eta by the time I get
going tomorrow I'll do it.  I'll try to make sure it is done before I
think you usually get started.

-Alex

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Well, I've checked in enough stuff to the Installer that don't think I
have anything else on my list.  It would be nice if folks could translate
a few more locales.  Maybe I'll give pootle a shot.  And hopefully Om will
have a chance to make icons for FlexJS and Falcon.  But technically those
don't have to hold up an SDK release.

Some of what I checked in was install script and properties files changes
in the flex-sdk repo so to truly try them out we have to cut another SDK
RC.  You can try them out from the nightly though if you build a new
Installer.  Unless someone objects, I'll try to cut an Installer RC
tomorrow, just to get that process started.  Do I have to use a special
cert for an Installer RC?

And, for the record, the new installer will not show you RC and nightly
builds unless you right-click and choose to see them.

I'd say the Poll about Linux installer is essentially done and we should
make the appropriate changes to the flex-sdk README before cutting the
next RC.

Thoughts?
-Alex

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

RE: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
-Able to build sdk.
-Able to compile small project.

-Mark

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I checked in the bug fixes I was working on.  Are you going to do a big
> merge at the end or should we merge each change to release4.12.0 to
> develop as we go?
Any changes in release need to be merged back into develop as there where our tests run. IMO our branching is a little pointless, as we only test develop (not the release branch) and have a trunk/master than never been tested and no one builds from.

Changes to TLF don't require merging as such.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I checked in the bug fixes I was working on.  Are you going to do a big
merge at the end or should we merge each change to release4.12.0 to
develop as we go?  I'm done for tonight so I'll merge in the morning if
that's the plan.

I'll take a crack at the README and RELEASE_NOTES tomorrow as well.

Also tomorrow, I'll start a series of discussions about the new installer.

-Alex

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

> The first run of the 'main' suite will be against FP 13 (beta) and the new
> AIR 4 (beta).

Well, given the 'mess' I made of things today, that statement no longer is
true :-) But in 2 full runs from now, the 13/4 combo will get it's turn.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
I've updated Jenkins and it's plugins on the Mustella VM, added the new
player versions to the runs and upgraded the logging from jenkins.sh.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
A few notes about the README:

"Apache Flex 4.11 is a follow up release to Apache Flex 4.10. "
Should be "Apache Flex 4.12 is a follow up release to Apache Flex 4.11. "

"Building Apache Flex 4.11"
Should be "Building Apache Flex 4.12"

Do we still need Pixel Bender to build the SDK?  I thought we are getting
the compiled binary files as part of the build process?

*Install Prerequisites > Section *6)*
We have download urls from 11.2.swc to 11.9.swc.  We may want add download
urls for 12.0swc and 13.0swc(beta)

*Adobe Flash Player Version Support *
Need to add note about support for 12.0 and 13.0beta

Thanks,
Om

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Shouldn't it be "...uses Apache Flex 4.10.0 *or later*" or if it only affects 4.10, remove the note?
Yep + fixed.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Apache Flex 4.12 RC1