Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Dennis Kieselhorst <de...@apache.org> on 2019/01/10 10:05:38 UTC

Jakarta JSF-API at Eclipse EE4J

Hi,

yesterday I noticed this issue: https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/mojarra/issues/4480

Is it that complicated to create an API jar that both works for Mojarra and MyFaces?

Regards
Dennis

Re: Jakarta JSF-API at Eclipse EE4J

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.
Should we also merge API+IMPL in 3.x?

Pro:
1) less code, less duplicate code
2) no reflection
3) better maintainability

Contra:
1) there is no seperate API jar, with just the javax.faces.* classes ->
users could import org.apache.myfaces.* classes

What about the contra:
1) we don't care?
2) wait for a flattened API jar from Mojarra
3) create a flattened API (it's quite high effort and requires to keep it
sync with the "real" API) (-0.5 from my side as we have to maintain it)
4) create a API jar from the merged API+IMPL jar, which can not be used it
as runtime jar as it would throw many NoClassDefFoundErrors

Posted by Dennis Kieselhorst <de...@apache.org>.
> I can image something like this:
> the javaee-api.jar could contain flatten API classes, without
> implementation details. Just the plain API, without actual logic.
> user could simply add this as provided dependency.

Right that's what I had in mind.

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi,