Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Leo Neumeyer <le...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/14 22:19:31 UTC

[PROPOSAL] S4 for the Apache Incubator

Dear all,

I would like to propose S4 to be an Apache Incubator project.  S4 is a
distributed streaming platform written in Java.

Here is a link to the proposal in the Incubator wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/S4Proposal

Thanks,
Leo Neumeyer

http://s4.io
http://twitter.com/leoneu

Re: [PROPOSAL] S4 for the Apache Incubator

Posted by Akash Ashok <th...@gmail.com>.
Sounds really interesting. Looking forward to seeing this incubated.

Cheers,
Akash A

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@s4.io>.
Thanks, Arun. I'm happy to have you on board!

-Flavio

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Happy to help mentor S4.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Flavio Junqueira <fp...@s4.io> wrote:

> To give you an idea of what we have in mind, here are a few points:
>
> - Monitor Nodes and PEs.
> - Ability to  query specific PE instance variables.
> - Add remove nodes.
> - Monitor logs.
> - Monitor CPU/Memory usage per node.
> - Load/unload apps.

It does look like some of the resource management can be offloaded to YARN.

> In general, it sounds right to assess if it is viable to use YARN for S4
> cluster management and we would appreciate your help. If it is ok with you,
> I'd rather not include it in the proposal, though, since it is an issue we
> could consider independently of the project going into incubator. Let me
> know if you agree.

Definitely.

Thanks,
+Vinod

Re: [PROPOSAL] S4 for the Apache Incubator

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@s4.io>.
Hi Vinod, Thanks for the support and comments. See my more comments
below:

On Sep 18, 2011, at 6:55 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli wrote:

> Great addition to Apache, +1.
>
> Some comments on the proposal:
> - In the "Initial Goals" section, you referred to "Add a cluster
> management
> system". Not sure of what it entirely means, but if it is what I
> think it
> is, the new resource-management layer in Hadoop (YARN/ JIRA issue
> MAPREDUCE-279) can be leveraged for this. YARN is going to be
> available in
> Hadoop 0.23 release. Willing to help in this regard in any way
> possible if
> you think it makes sense for S4, can have a separate discussion too.

To give you an idea of what we have in mind, here are a few points:

- Monitor Nodes and PEs.
- Ability to  query specific PE instance variables.
- Add remove nodes.
- Monitor logs.
- Monitor CPU/Memory usage per node.
- Load/unload apps.

In general, it sounds right to assess if it is viable to use YARN for
S4 cluster management and we would appreciate your help. If it is ok
with you, I'd rather not include it in the proposal, though, since it
is an issue we could consider independently of the project going into
incubator. Let me know if you agree.

> - You may want to capture the discussion about Hdaoop/Flume/Kafka in
> the
> "Relationships with Other Apache Projects" section.

I have added a summary to the proposal, thanks for pointing it out.

> - Seen elsewhere that proposals list down the list of companies of the
> initial set of committers (section "Homogeneous Developers").

I have also added a list here.

-Flavio

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
Great addition to Apache, +1.

Posted by Leo Neumeyer <le...@gmail.com>.
Phil and all,

Great discussion and so happy you want to join the team. No need to apologize !!

My feeling is that if someone wants to join the project as a contributor and has technical merit he or she will become a committer pretty quickly. I think that having a minimal protocol is useful to make sure people get to know each other and the project. In fact, the current policy seems good to me: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/participation.html I love the DO-ocracy concept and seems to be the best way to become a committer.

So I propose that those who are interested and can volunteer some time, start thinking on how to contribute. If the project is accepted we will discuss the details in the mailing list.

Thanks again!
-leo

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@s4.io>.
Hi Phillip, Thanks for your feedback, see some more comments below:

On Sep 16, 2011, at 2:54 AM, Phillip Rhodes wrote:

>> Our expectation when we submitted the proposal was that the initial
>> set of
>> committers would comprise the people who have initially contributed
>> to get
>> the current code to this stage, and we were not expecting arbitrary
>> requests
>> to join the initial list of committers.
>
> Part of the focus of the incubator, as I've understood it, is to
> promote sufficient
> diversity in the community and the team, that no one "block" of
> people can kill
> the project by dropping out or whatever.  Having new initial
> committers that have
> no outstanding connection to the project is one way to achieve that.
> In this regard, the
> incubation period is radically different from other times in the
> project lifecycle.
> Or, again, that has been my understanding.

I tend to agree with this observation that it is important to increase
diversity when the initial group is too homogeneous. However, I don't
see this risk with the group we proposed originally, we are coming
from different companies, and our interests converge to S4, but
overall I would say that our motivations are pretty different.

> Then again, maybe it only appears that way because some projects make
> it a point to
> appeal to people *to* join in as initial committers.
>
>> Of course, as a potential Apache
>> project (now potentially incubator, but looking forward to being
>> TLP in the
>> future), we are ready to work towards building a community, which
>> includes
>> granting the status of committer to contributors. However, we'd
>> like new
>> committers to earn their status by showing commitment to the
>> community and
>> demonstrating technical merit.
>
> Absolutely, and entering the incubator is the only time - AFAIK -
> that projects
> here tend to take a slightly different stance.  It's all about seeding
> the initial pool
> before the project gets underway.   That said, I'm not sure projects
> are required
> to accept an additional initial committers beyond what the proposer
> suggests.

To emphasize, just in the case it was not extra clear in the previous
message, it is not that we don't want new committers, but our
preference, assuming it doesn't go against the principles stated by
the community, is to grant committership status once we get to work a
little longer together.

> For my own part, I'll just say that I'm excited about S4, very happy
> to volunteer to help, and
> if you guys want me, I'm in.  If not, take me off the list and it'll
> all be cool.  FSM knows, I have
> plenty of stuff to keep me occupied already.  ;-)

I'm sure you're busy and have other things to do, but that was not the
point. We want to get all help we can to make sure S4 succeeds in
building a strong community. We just feel that committership is a
separate issue and should be earned.

> As far as introduction goes...  Well, I founded Fogbeam Labs, started
> the ScrewPile project to
> develop an OSS suite of Enterprise Knowledge Management software.
> I've been a professional
> software engineer for the past 12-13 years, working mostly in Java,
> but some C, C++, Python
> and Groovy as well.  If anyone wants to know more about me, just ask,
> or see:  https://plus.google.com/u/1/114301088526097505896/about

Thanks again, Phillip. We are looking forward to working with you, so
please consider contributing independent of the committership issue.

Cheers,
-Flavio

Re: [PROPOSAL] S4 for the Apache Incubator

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@s4.io>.
Hi everyone, To introduce myself, I'm a ZooKeeper committer and PMC
member. I'm used to the process of selecting committers for ZooKeeper,
but I'm new to the incubator process, so I would appreciate if the
community could shed some light here.

I have read the guide to participation:

	http://incubator.apache.org/guides/participation.html

and I understand from there that people shouldn't simply jump in as an
initial committer without a short introduction and without
acknowledgment from the proposer. Thanks to the ones who followed the
protocol and introduced themselves.

Our expectation when we submitted the proposal was that the initial
set of committers would comprise the people who have initially
contributed to get the current code to this stage, and we were not
expecting arbitrary requests to join the initial list of committers.
Of course, as a potential Apache project (now potentially incubator,
but looking forward to being TLP in the future), we are ready to work
towards building a community, which includes granting the status of
committer to contributors. However, we'd like new committers to earn
their status by showing commitment to the community and demonstrating
technical merit.

We understand that it is important to have other people who are
experienced with ASF to mentor the project, and we don't want to drive
these people away or anyone else who is willing to contribute.
Committership and mentorship sound like different issues, though, and
we would like committership in general (ASF experienced or not) to be
earned.

I was also checking some other threads that discuss the issue, and I
believe my message reflects some of the points in previous threads, so
I'm linking them here:

	http://markmail.org/message/hfy2clgc3ddwfjnz
	http://markmail.org/message/nkfugts33sw37gwf

What exactly is expected and how should we proceed?

Thanks,
-Flavio

Re: [PROPOSAL] S4 for the Apache Incubator

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Leo Neumeyer <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to propose S4 to be an Apache Incubator project.  S4 is a
> distributed streaming platform written in Java.
>
> Here is a link to the proposal in the Incubator wiki:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/S4Proposal

Awesome! I'm very happy to see S4 joining Apache, and am volunteering
to help out.  I've added myself to the "initial committers" list on
the proposal wiki.

Definitely looking forward to this.

Cheers,

Phil

Re: [PROPOSAL] S4 for the Apache Incubator

Posted by adam wojtuniak <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Leo,

Looks very interesting.
I am very interested to join the project and help with implementation.
If you are interested you can add me to initial committers list.
In telecommunication (Ericsson) we are very interested in using distributed
streaming so is good
idea to start contributing for this project as well.
I am a committer (awojtuniak) of Apache Felix and Aries.

Cheers,
Adam Wojtuniak

awojtuniak@apache.org

Posted by Srinath Perera <he...@gmail.com>.