Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/05/10 19:21:58 UTC

"How To Install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Via PPA On Ubuntu 12.04/11.10"

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-to-install-apache-openoffice-34-via.html

Is there someplace on the website or wiki where we could add this
link?  Maybe the release notes?

-Rob

Re: "How To Install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Via PPA On Ubuntu 12.04/11.10"

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
I'm going to translate it to pt-BR.

Cheers

2012/5/10 drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>

> On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 13:21 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> >
> http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-to-install-apache-openoffice-34-via.html
> >
> > Is there someplace on the website or wiki where we could add this
> > link?  Maybe the release notes?
>
> I'm trying the (11.10) install just now - no idea who this is, glad they
> got to it so directly, however.
>
> A mention someplace on the site would be great, imo.
>
> //drew
>

> > -Rob

Paulo de Souza Lima
Técnico em Eletrônica e Administrador
http://www.pasl.net.br
http://almalivre.wordpress.com
Curitiba - PR
Linux User #432358
Ubuntu User #28729

"Para que as pessoas conquistem a paz em suas relações, a paz espiritual e
a paz entre os povos, é preciso que antes se ganhe a batalha interna das
virtudes sobre os defeitos" - Talal Husseini - Filósofo Acropolitano

"For people to achieve peace in their relationships, spiritual peace and
the peace among people, it's necessary, earlier, to win the internal battle
between virtues and defects" - Talal Husseini - Acropolitan Philosopher

Re: "How To Install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Via PPA On Ubuntu 12.04/11.10"

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 16:25 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/10/2012 11:12 AM, drew wrote:

> >> I'm trying the (11.10) install just now - no idea who this is, glad they
> >> got to it so directly, however.
> >
> > Whooowhooo - I started by installing Ubuntu 11.10, clean, into a
> > virtualBox VM - then followed the steps - the ppa is installing now, a
> > svelte 325 Megs download - and slow.. load maybe?
> >
> > I'll let you know how it goes, when it finishes.
>
> Works for me: I just installed & briefly tested w/Virtualbox & VMware -
> Ubuntu 12.04 (32bit).

Good - never did for me - finally the download finished and the package
was trash..

I'll try again tonight.

//drew

Re: "How To Install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Via PPA On Ubuntu 12.04/11.10"

Posted by NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 11 May 2012 01:52, Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> 2012/5/10 Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>
>
> > I put a pt-br translation at
> >
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/PT-BR/FAQ/Instala%C3%A7%C3%A3ofor
> > now. as soon as a place for it is defined we can move it to there.
> >

> Thanks Paulo.
>
> Spreading social networking. :)
>
> @apacheoobr
>
> Best,
> Albino

I installed from upubuntu yesterday and it was very easy and no problems so
far. One thing straight away is the better way that draw handles svg than
is the case with LibreO.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

Re: "How To Install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Via PPA On Ubuntu 12.04/11.10"

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On Thursday, 10. May 2012 at 20:35, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2012 13:43:30 -0400
> drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 13:21 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> > > http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-to-install-apache-openoffice-34-via.html
> > >
> > > Is there someplace on the website or wiki where we could add this
> > > link? Maybe the release notes?
> > >

> > I'm trying the (11.10) install just now - no idea who this is, glad they
> > got to it so directly, however.
> >
> > A mention someplace on the site would be great, imo.
> >
> > //drew
>
> I downloaded a prebuilt (en-US) for 32 bit Ubuntu and installed in the usual way as set out on Forum tutorial.
>
> No problems except it complained on first startup, needing a Java. I forced it closed, restarted and setup the Java quickly under /Tools /Options before it could complain. Been editing with it all day, no problems. en-GB version or Language pack would be
will coming with the next update 3.4.1

Juergen

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 10 May 2012 13:43:30 -0400
drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 13:21 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> > http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-to-install-apache-openoffice-34-via.html
> >
> > Is there someplace on the website or wiki where we could add this
> > link?  Maybe the release notes?
>
> I'm trying the (11.10) install just now - no idea who this is, glad they
> got to it so directly, however.
>
> A mention someplace on the site would be great, imo.
>
> //drew

I downloaded a prebuilt (en-US) for 32 bit Ubuntu and installed in the usual way as set out on Forum tutorial.

No problems except it complained on first startup, needing a Java.  I forced it closed, restarted and setup the Java quickly under /Tools /Options before it could complain.  Been editing with it all day, no problems.  en-GB version or Language pack would be nice.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: "How To Install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Via PPA On Ubuntu 12.04/11.10"

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 05/10/2012 10:21 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-to-install-apache-openoffice-34-via.html
>
> Is there someplace on the website or wiki where we could add this
> link?  Maybe the release notes?

I'll add it to the install guide where references to linux packages are
already discussed...

> -Rob

MzK

  Helping you out."
                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: "How To Install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Via PPA On Ubuntu 12.04/11.10"

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Rob Weir wrote:
> http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-to-install-apache-openoffice-34-via.html
>
> Is there someplace on the website or wiki where we could add this
> link?  Maybe the release notes?

OOo used to have install instructions for Linux and other OSes, and these were, IIRC, linked to from the a) download page b) support page. That latter, http://support.openoffice.org/ , could be reused, modulo today's reality.

louis

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 8:49 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 14:32 -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:

> > > Yes - for that particular PPA - that would be true.

> > OK, drew, *
> >
> > I see this  is still in the install guide...maybe, given other
> > considerations that have recently popped up (so many in fact!), we
> > should just remove it?
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I think you are right, in that it should not be on that page. I think we
> (and I mean we) might of jumped a little too quickly there.
>
> IMO upubuntu.com is, from what I can ascertain, acting in a way which
> the project should not, necessarily, object to as there seems no real
> harm, however one which personally I am not comfortable with. I rather
> think in this case they certainly should of sought the project's
> approval first.
>
> With an eye to location on our site, as is, I would not put a link on
> this page[1], it makes it seem too much a recommended and sanctioned
> distribution IMO.
>
> I would not be against treating it as a short term news item, and
> perhaps in whatever manner the group decides to treat sites offering
> CD(DVD) images or disks.
>
> //drew
>
> [1]
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html#other_linux

OK, I will take care of this later today.

> http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-to-install-apache-openoffice-34-via.html

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: "How To Install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Via PPA On Ubuntu 12.04/11.10"

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 05/11/2012 05:42 AM, drew jensen wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 18:01 +0800, Chao Huang wrote:
>> I'm trying on Ubuntu 11.04. But got failed :(
>>
>> Do I have to upgrade my system from 11.04 to 11.10?
>
> Yes - for that particular PPA - that would be true.
>

>> *sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/office*
>>
>> *sudo apt-get update*
>> **
>> *sudo apt-get install openoffice*

OK, drew, *

I see this  is still in the install guide...maybe, given other
considerations that have recently popped up (so many in fact!), we
should just remove it?

What do you think?

>> 2012/5/11 Rob Weir<ro...@apache.org>
>>

>>> http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-to-install-apache-openoffice-34-via.html
>>>
>>> Is there someplace on the website or wiki where we could add this
>>> link?  Maybe the release notes?
>>>
>>> -Rob

MzK

  Helping you out."
                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: "How To Install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Via PPA On Ubuntu 12.04/11.10"

Posted by drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chao Huang <ch...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,
Chao Huang

Re: "How To Install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Via PPA On Ubuntu 12.04/11.10"

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 16:33 -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:

> http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-to-install-apache-openoffice-34-via.html

> > > Are we comfortable with this install? Do we know who upubuntu are?
> > > As far as I can tell, they have done a file dif on an installed system
> > > and zipped up the file changes and delivered them in a .deb (over
> > > simplification - but you get the idea)
> > > I think this packaging falls short in terms of proper structuring of
> > > dependencies, managing the overlap with LO on the system, and general
> > > PPMC control of the package. Pointing it out on the G+ is one thing,
> > > writing it into our instructions might be something to rethink.
> > >
> > > A.
> > >
> > Well you have a point...it can easily be removed by me or anyone who can
> > edit the page.
>
> Hi Kay,
>
> Since it's there now, I wouldn't run up and yank it down, but I am
> rather close to doing so..depending. It definitely includes all the
> mimetype icon replacements and changes to system menu settings, as you
> can see from browsing the ppa logs - it if messes up the system I likely
> will update the page though, alright?

yeah, no problem...I completely understand!! We need to spend SOME time
dealing with the "vetting" issue generally speaking.

Right now, we've also been notified of a Solaris build. What to do when
these things pop up?????

> //drew
>

> > But, there is the disclaimer at the beginning and a Note at the end of
> > this particular section that these packages. It could probably use some
> > editing though,
> >
> > ...and this...
> >
> > "managing the overlap with LO on the system"...hmmm...do you think this
> > should be covered in the instructions anyway? We could make an attempt.
> >
> > Really, I don't know what in our standard release deals with this. If
> > someone would provide details to include in the installation
> > instructions, this would be very helpful.

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: "How To Install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Via PPA On Ubuntu 12.04/11.10"

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 15:50 -0700, Andrew Rist wrote:

> On 5/10/2012 3:40 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
> >

> > On 05/10/2012 10:21 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> >> http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-to-install-apache-openoffice-34-via.html
> >>

> >> Is there someplace on the website or wiki where we could add this
> >> link?  Maybe the release notes?
> >>
> >> -Rob
> >
> > This is added to the instructions page now...
> >
> Are we comfortable with this install?  Do we know who upubuntu are?
> As far as I can tell, they have done a file dif on an installed system
> and zipped up the file changes and delivered them in a  .deb  (over
> simplification - but you get the idea)
> I think this packaging falls short in terms of proper structuring of
> dependencies, managing the overlap with LO on the system, and general
> PPMC control of the package.

I think you may be correct - but I'm still, if the indicator is to be
trusted, 3 hours away from the download finishing.

>   Pointing it out on the G+ is one thing,
> writing it into our instructions might be something to rethink.

I'd agree - was excited about the first mention of the package, but it
should not go to our website without a bit more vetting, I would think;

//drew

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.