Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2005/07/24 04:07:24 UTC

changes to repository policy?

Hi,

Can I get some opinions on making the following changes to out
repository policy?

1) no more snapshots in ibiblio

I'm happy to keep syncing these into m1 for convenience so we don't need
to change the sync app too much, but I'd like repoclean not to bring
them over to the m2 repo - and believe we should delete them from the m2
repos altogether. When we set up any eventual m2 repo syncs, I think
this would greatly enhance our ability to keep the repo under control.

Of course, this would impact where m2 pushes its snapshots to. We could
temporarily setup a new location on codehaus and make it available under
a new .maven.org name, or setup a subdirectory under cvs.apache.org like
/repository. I think the first one is better since this is likely to be
temporary until we can have snapshots published by continuum somewhere
in the zone.

2) setup an m2 repository at Apache

I'd like to get this going. Instead of
/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository, maybe something like
/www/www.apache.org/dist/maven-repository. This may take some time and
we can determine exactly what infra would like to require of that (in
terms of md5s, signatures, access and permissions) and get it right from
the outset. I'd like to push the m2 final release there in a month, and
have it sync over to ibiblio.

How does this sound? If it's ok, I'll bring the latter to the
appropriate Apache lists.

- Brett

Re: changes to repository policy?

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Re: changes to repository policy?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
+1

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
+1

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 12:07 +1000, Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I get some opinions on making the following changes to out
> repository policy?
>
> 1) no more snapshots in ibiblio
>
> I'm happy to keep syncing these into m1 for convenience so we don't need
> to change the sync app too much, but I'd like repoclean not to bring
> them over to the m2 repo - and believe we should delete them from the m2
> repos altogether. When we set up any eventual m2 repo syncs, I think
> this would greatly enhance our ability to keep the repo under control.
>
> Of course, this would impact where m2 pushes its snapshots to. We could
> temporarily setup a new location on codehaus and make it available under
> a new .maven.org name, or setup a subdirectory under cvs.apache.org like
> /repository. I think the first one is better since this is likely to be
> temporary until we can have snapshots published by continuum somewhere
> in the zone.
>
> 2) setup an m2 repository at Apache
>
> I'd like to get this going. Instead of
> /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository, maybe something like
> /www/www.apache.org/dist/maven-repository. This may take some time and
> we can determine exactly what infra would like to require of that (in
> terms of md5s, signatures, access and permissions) and get it right from
> the outset. I'd like to push the m2 final release there in a month, and
> have it sync over to ibiblio.
>
> How does this sound? If it's ok, I'll bring the latter to the
> appropriate Apache lists.
>
> - Brett

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

  -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

Re: changes to repository policy?

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@codehaus.org>.
On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 12:07:24PM +1000, Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I get some opinions on making the following changes to out
> repository policy?

1) +1
2) +1

--