Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2002/09/06 15:33:15 UTC

Opinions from JUnit mailling list on Avalon

>From the thread entitled:
"[junit] Unit testing multithreaded network code"

(which by the way is an interesting read for testing networking code)

Had the opinions posted from two developers:

"The general issue of how to approach this sort of issue remains
unsolved, but I sidestepped my own problem by passing the
responsibilty of verifying the robustness of code to the Jakarta
Avalon project.   I may be taking the lazy way out, but I trust the
Apache people to write working software."

                 From: weitzman_d [mailto:weitzman_d@yahoo.com]

The response was:

"This might be a deceiving attitude at best. The Avalon project has a
high
code quality indeed, but as for Jakarta projects in general this does
not hold.
Just look randomly around and you'll find lots and lots and lots of
really
bad code with zero tests with no regard to object-oriented principles
and
which violates almost any heuristics for good code I know of."

                 From: Johannes Link [mailto:john.link@gmx.net]

I think we have a reputation for quality--which I would like to see
continue.

Re: Opinions from JUnit mailling list on Avalon

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Berin,

At work we have an AbstractPhoenixTestCase.  It is basically a fake
container that extends TestCase & supports the life cycle.  You extend
it and hand-hard code service implementations for the lifecycle process
to use.  It works a beaut and we called it punit.  We can't donate, but
would almost certainly shift to a clean-room Apache written equivalent.

- Paul

Posted by "David W." <da...@optonline.net>.
I found the Demo application to be enough to get me started.  I just took
the vanilla demo and modified it.  I had my service hooked in reasonably
quickly, with a bit of a pause when I had unexplained behavior and I thought
my app's log file wasn't being made -- it turned out I just didn't know
where to look.  Unfortunately the demo isn't available through any means
except CVS (although you would need a CVS version of Phoenix for the
shutdown thing to work anyway -- which I soon discovered).

I'd offer to help with documentation, but I don't think I'm comfortable
enough with the framework to do a good job -- yet.

David Weitzman

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
It shouldn't.  The contract with the Component's interface
is that the interface is all inclusive.  No lifecycle methods
should be part of it.

Posted by Vincent Tence <Vi...@gemplus.com>.

[mailto:john.link@gmx.net]

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.