Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Lenny Hoffman <le...@earthlink.net> on 2002/01/31 17:58:10 UTC

Circular Definitions

Hi All,

I get the following message when parsing an input file with schema checking
on:

	Message: No circular definitions are allowed: 'ValueGroup'

A portion of my schema is defined as follows:

	<xs:complexType name="ObjectType">
		<xs:sequence>
			<xs:group ref="ValueGroup" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
		</xs:sequence>
	</xs:complexType>
	<xs:group name="ValueGroup">
		<xs:choice>
			<xs:element name="Inherited" type="InheritedType"/>
			<xs:element name="Basic" type="BasicType"/>
			<xs:element name="String" type="StringType"/>
		</xs:choice>
	</xs:group>
	<xs:complexType name="InheritedType">
		<xs:complexContent>
			<xs:extension base="ValueType">
				<xs:group ref="ValueGroup" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
			</xs:extension>
	</xs:complexType>

Some sample XML would be:

  <Object>
    <Inherited name="ooObjectPlacementStrategy" position="0">
      <Inherited name="ooPdStrategy" position="0">
        <String name="mName" position="1">EvolveTest</String>
        <String name="mComment" position="2"/>
      </Inherited>
      <Basic name="mSeparateByOwner" position="4" type="uint8" value="1"/>
    </Inherited>
    <Basic name="mPagePlacement" position="2" type="uint8" value="7"/>
  </Object>

The complaint is that InheritedType is included in ValueGroup, and includes
ValueGroup.  This is certainly circular from the schema's point of view, but
is a natural outcome of generically modeling an object's data, which is what
I am doing.  Is such an arrangement really illegal?  Or is it a constraint
specific to Xerces' implementation?  I was not able to locate any such
constraint in the XML Schema specification (I may have missed it though).
Also, when processing the same input with XML Spy, I do not get this error
(I believe it uses MSXML).

Thanks,

Lenny

Re: Circular Definitions

Posted by Khaled Noaman <kn...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Lenny,

The schema spec has the following constraint on model groups:

   " Schema Component Constraint: Model Group Correct

    2 Circular groups are disallowed. That is, within the {particles} of a group there must not be
at any depth a particle whose {term} is the group itself."

However, that constraint does not apply to your example. Would you please open a bugzilla bug for
that problem?

Thanks,
Khaled

Re: Circular Definitions

Posted by Khaled Noaman <kn...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Lenny,

You can forgo submitting the bug report.

Khaled

RE: Circular Definitions

Re: Circular Definitions

Posted by Khaled Noaman <kn...@ca.ibm.com>.