Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Geoffrey Myers <ge...@serioustechnology.com> on 2006/11/15 19:08:07 UTC

svn log inconsistencies

Anyone seen anything like this?

Two folks on two different machines connect to the same repository and
run 'svn log' and get different results.

For example, I see r11, he does not.

Thanks, Geof

Re: svn log inconsistencies

Posted by Geoffrey Myers <ge...@serioustechnology.com>.
Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> That looks as though you have different things checked out.  svn log
> will show you only revisions affecting the current directory, unless you
> ask for more.
>
> Type "svn info" and compare what it shows you for the URL.  I suspect
> one of you has checked out more than the other has.  You'll get the log
> of files within whatever directory you have checked out.

This was the case.

> svn info will also show you the value of HEAD on each machine, listed as
> "Revision:".
>
> Duncan Murdoch

It appears our confusion was over the use of svn log. We assumed it
would provide the repository log info.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin

Re: svn log inconsistencies

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.

Re: svn log inconsistencies

Posted by Danny van Heumen <da...@hccnet.nl>.
Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> Tjernstrom, Staffan wrote:
>> Any chance that the other user did the commit for r12, but didn't do
>> an update first (to get the history for r11)?
>
> Very possible. :)

I doubt it. IIRC log information is retrieved from the online repository
and the repository knows all :P.

It's probably the suggestion made in another reply in this thread:
If someone executes 'svn log .' inside a subdirectory of the working
copy, only the log messages are shown that reflect changes in this
subdirectory. So R11 is probably a change outside of this subdirectory,
and so it isn't shown.
If you would execute 'svn log .' on the root of the repository you will
surely see all changes, because all changes happen in the root or some
subdirectory of it.

Danny

Re: svn log inconsistencies

Posted by Geoffrey Myers <ge...@serioustechnology.com>.

RE: Re: svn log inconsistencies

Posted by "Tjernstrom, Staffan" <st...@mail.esignal.com>.
Any chance that the other user did the commit for r12, but didn't do an update first (to get the history for r11)?

Rgds
Staffan Tj.
Staffan Tjernström | Sr. Programmer - Market Data Systems | www.esignal.com
eSignal, a division of Interactive Data Corporation (NYSE: IDC)
3955 Point Eden Way | Hayward, CA 94545-3720 | 510.723.1723 | FAX: 510.266.6100

We are not seeing a different range.  I see r10, r11, r12

He sees r10, r12  no r11

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin

DISCLAIMER: This message (including any files transmitted with it) may contain confidential and / or proprietary information, is the property of Interactive Data Corporation and / or its subsidiaries and is directed only to the addressee(s). If you are not the designated recipient or have reason to believe you received this message in error, please delete this message from your system and notify the sender immediately. An unintended recipient's disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this message, or any attachments, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Re: svn log inconsistencies

Posted by Geoffrey Myers <ge...@serioustechnology.com>.

Re: svn log inconsistencies

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 11/15/2006 2:08 PM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> Anyone seen anything like this?
>
> Two folks on two different machines connect to the same repository and
> run 'svn log' and get different results.
>

> For example, I see r11, he does not.

 From svn log --help:

Re: VSS File Sharing

Posted by Justin Patrin <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 11/15/06, Steve O'Hara <so...@pivotal-solutions.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm a newbie to SVN and come from a VSS (I know, I know) background.
> We'd really like to switch to subversion but the one show-stopper for us
> is the lack of file sharing.
> A very large number of our VSS projects share code files.  In fact, I'm
> not sure we have any projects that don't share some sort of file with
> another project.
>
> Now VSS has it's faults, but this feature is a real winner in our
> developer community and prevents the re-invention of the wheel.  In
> fact, I'd go further and say thay this feature has been fundamental to
> the increased stability of some of our modules - as they get used in
> more and more projects they get better and better debugged in more and
> more diverse operating conditions.
>
> As I understand it, the "externals" feature of svn is only applicable to
> directories.  Has anyone got any ideas how I could mitigate the lack of
> sharing files in svn that might come some way close to exhibiting the
> desired behaviour?

I would suggest putting each of your reused modules in its own
directory so that it can be checked out by "externals".

--
Justin Patrin

Re: Re: VSS File Sharing

Posted by Talden <ta...@gmail.com>.
> One of the good things about sharing files is the ability for projects
> to gain from debugging that goes on in other non-related projects - yes,
> new bugs can get introduced and there is a chance that they "creep"
> across all projects that use the shared file.  But in our experience
> this is extremely rare.  Shared files tend to grow with additional
> related methods, that growth is organic and slow, so we end up with
> modules in our projects that provide stable and well tested libraries.
> An engineer here starts a new project by firstly going to VSS and drags
> together all the files they intend to use as a framework.  It does mean
> that you get some bloat, but it's worth the cost.

Create the shared code as a bundle with its own release cycle.

Each project that uses it is currently using a specific version.

Projects advance to the next version when and if necessary... EG a new
release of the shared bundle is done (and tested) - it's benefits are
noted and ProjectX wants it immediately.  ProjectY doesn't benefit so
they skip that change.  They might well take the next one though.

These releases are entirely internal and are specifically to reduce
risk and to prevent projects developing against moving targets
unnecessarily.

None of this prevents the shared code model, and these bundles don't
have to be self-contained libraries, merely code structures stable at
a known point.  Since they're always changed at the source merging
forward is trivial.

--
Talden

Re: VSS File Sharing

Posted by Tim Hill <dr...@comcast.net>.
+1 -- I concur, it's a bad thing.

I think what it boils down to is you can setup the needed structure
in the WC and repo, but actually getting the files shared between
projects will involve a *explicit* step (probably a merge), rather
than have VSS do it magically. imho, making this explicit is good,
even if it involves some extra work.

And yes, you will forget to merge the first few times...

--Tim

RE: Re: VSS File Sharing

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:28 PM +0000 Steve O'Hara
<so...@pivotal-solutions.co.uk> wrote:

> modules in our projects that provide stable and well tested libraries.
> An engineer here starts a new project by firstly going to VSS and drags
> together all the files they intend to use as a framework.  It does mean
> that you get some bloat, but it's worth the cost.

The "fold it all into a bowl and stir" model of development. This should
introduce no more or less bloat than keeping the modules in a separate
library. But I can't see how it makes working with the modules easier.

I'm introducing a new vendor library into some old code moved from VSS to
SVN. That library is going into its own directory, not getting dumped into
the project directory as has been done by other developers in the past.
It's a separate subsystem, and it should be organized that way.

Dumping all your modules into one directory is like dumping all your source
into one big text file. Those with primitive single-file editors may like
the latter, but I find huge source files clumsy, and I find huge
directories full of unrelated modules equally clumsy.

RE: Re: VSS File Sharing

Posted by Steve O'Hara <so...@pivotal-solutions.co.uk>.
> And I'm not aware of a good use of VSS sharing in the first place.[1]

I suppose we need to experiment with putting each file (or group of
related files) in it's own directory to see how thet works with
externals.  Sounds a bit horrible...

One of the good things about sharing files is the ability for projects
to gain from debugging that goes on in other non-related projects - yes,
new bugs can get introduced and there is a chance that they "creep"
across all projects that use the shared file.  But in our experience
this is extremely rare.  Shared files tend to grow with additional
related methods, that growth is organic and slow, so we end up with
modules in our projects that provide stable and well tested libraries.
An engineer here starts a new project by firstly going to VSS and drags
together all the files they intend to use as a framework.  It does mean
that you get some bloat, but it's worth the cost.

If the engineer wants to know where a files is used, they right mouse
click and view the projects it's shared in.  Of course each file is
versioned and can be pinned to a particular version by label in each
project it's used in.  So repeatable releases are easily achieved.

Listen, I'm not here to defend VSS, but equally I wouldn't want people
to think that everyting VSS is evil.  Maybe the shared files is perhaps
the only thing that isn't?

Steve

Re: VSS File Sharing

Posted by Nathan Kidd <na...@spicycrypto.ca>.

Re: VSS File Sharing

Posted by Thomas Wicklund <wi...@eskimo.com>.
Externals don't really match VSS file sharing since they have to be
checked out, committed and updated separately (if I understand them
correctly).  My organization went from VSS to SVN.  We used VSS shared
files for common code between products.  Luckily in our case there
were so few non-shared files (<1%) that we just converted to a single
code base and conditional compilation, removing the need for shared
files.

I'm not aware of a good SVN replacement for VSS shared files.

Thomas Wicklund

Re: VSS File Sharing

Posted by Tim Hill <dr...@comcast.net>.

VSS File Sharing

Re: svn log inconsistencies

Posted by Geoffrey Myers <ge...@serioustechnology.com>.
Tim Hill wrote:
> Example commands please? Log file output can depend on the working copy
> state depending on the command syntax.

In both cases 'svn log' was run.  We then compared the output of 'svn
log -v' and noted similar issues.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin

Re: svn log inconsistencies

Posted by Tim Hill <dr...@comcast.net>.

Re: svn log inconsistencies

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 15, 2006, at 13:52, Geoffrey Myers wrote:

> Tjernstrom, Staffan wrote:
>> What is the exact command used?
>> Is there any chance that at least one of you is doing the command
>> against your local working copy, not the repo?
>
> Bear in mind, I'm real new to this, so excuse any ignorance
> displayed. How do I determine whether 'svn log' is working against
> the local verses repo?

If you type "svn log" in a working copy, you're running it against
the working copy.

If you type "svn log path/to/wc", you're running it against the
working copy.

If you type "svn log http://url/to/repo", you're running it against
the repository.

The latter will always be up-to-date. The former two will only be as
up-to-date as your working copy is. If you want an up-to-date log,
run the log command agaisnt the repo, or else "svn update" the
working copy first.

Re: svn log inconsistencies

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 11/15/06, Geoffrey Myers <ge...@serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> Tjernstrom, Staffan wrote:
> > What is the exact command used?
> >
> > Is there any chance that at least one of you is doing the command
> > against your local working copy, not the repo?
>
> Bear in mind, I'm real new to this, so excuse any ignorance displayed.
> How do I determine whether 'svn log' is working against the local verses
> repo?

Typing 'svn log' in a working copy gets the log from the local working
copy, as of your last update. So if you last updated a week ago,
you'll be missing a week's worth of logs.

Typing 'svn log <repository URL>' gets the current log direct from the
repository.

RE: Re: svn log inconsistencies

Posted by "Tjernstrom, Staffan" <st...@mail.esignal.com>.
No problems, always good to have new faces :)

If you're just typing in svn log at the command line, you're in fact working against your local copy, not the repository.

If you do an svn update, then svn log, on both systems, you should see the same results (assumning nothing gets commited in between).

Re: svn log inconsistencies

Posted by Geoffrey Myers <ge...@serioustechnology.com>.

RE: svn log inconsistencies