Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Ken Geis <ke...@telocity.com> on 2001/05/24 23:26:58 UTC

Greetings (also config.xml ?)

Greetings!  My name is Ken, and I just lost my job.  My big project
before the company folded was to reimplement a Dynamo site that I had
done a lot of work on with servlets/JSP.  I chose to use Struts as well.
  Moving away from Dynamo, we lost a lot of functionality, but it was a
business decision.  I think that the combination of Avalon, Struts,
Tomcat, and JMX would have given us what we wanted.

I kinda want to see that vision through.  Anyway, I was starting a
personal project and Avalon solves some of the issues in it.

I've gotten my server to the point where I have a skeleton Block that
depends on DataSourceSelector.  I can't understand how, in config.xml,
to resolve that dependency (i.e. link the blocks.)  I'm also confused by
the config.xml file at all, and how that information gets to the blocks.

If someone can help me out with this, I'm also starting a visual block
assembly/configuration tool, and that work can continue.

Cheers,

	Ken

Re: Greetings (also config.xml ?)

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 02:26 PM 5/24/01 -0700, Ken Geis wrote:
>Greetings!

Hi,

>My name is Ken, and I just lost my job.

sorry to hear.

>My big project
>before the company folded was to reimplement a Dynamo site that I had
>done a lot of work on with servlets/JSP.  I chose to use Struts as well.
>  Moving away from Dynamo, we lost a lot of functionality, but it was a
>business decision.  I think that the combination of Avalon, Struts,
>Tomcat, and JMX would have given us what we wanted.

I am not familiar with struts but sounds interesting.

>I kinda want to see that vision through.  Anyway, I was starting a
>personal project and Avalon solves some of the issues in it.

good to hear.

>I've gotten my server to the point where I have a skeleton Block that
>depends on DataSourceSelector.  I can't understand how, in config.xml,
>to resolve that dependency (i.e. link the blocks.)  I'm also confused by
>the config.xml file at all, and how that information gets to the blocks.

essentially the name in config file correlates with name field in block
definition in assembly.xml.

>If someone can help me out with this, I'm also starting a visual block
>assembly/configuration tool, and that work can continue.

sounds good ;)

Cheers,

Pete