Posted to users@directory.apache.org by "Black, Douglas" <Do...@osumc.edu> on 2019/08/15 17:32:07 UTC

Enhancement suggestion

I apologize if there's a better place to post this.  I often use the New Batch Operation to make minor changes to user accounts returned by a search, and sometimes the list of objects to be modified is quite large. I don't want to swamp the system with 1000 or more object changes dumped on it all at once. It would be great if there was an option to insert a 1-5 second pause between each change.

Does this sound like it would be of value to anyone else?

Thanks,

Doug Black
OSU Wexner Medical Center

Re: Enhancement suggestion

Posted by Lothar Haeger <lo...@brummelhook.com>.
Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:

> There are two things that can be done here:
>
> - introduce a delay between each change
> On the first point, it's just a parameter to add to the Batch control, I
> guess. I would suggest to fill a JIRA with such a requirement for the sake fo
> tracability.

May I suggest not to add a configurable delay but implement a configurable
transaction rate (e.g. in modifies per second/minute) to make this easier to
use?

I run into the same requirement a lot and use another tool that allows me to
configure a delay of x seconds every y transactions, which quickly becomes a
time consuming trial & error session in order to balance throughput and server
impact in an optimal way. Most often I need to run the batch just a bit slower
han the server can process them, leaving room for regular production
transactions to slip in between. If the batch is just a little too fast, the
queue will pile up and prod transactions get delayed more and more over time.
Some of my batch jobs run a whole weekend and a slight misconfiguration here
can make the difference if all's fine on Monday morning or we'll have to wait
the better part of the day until we can carry on with the next step e.g. of a
migration.

Configuring e.g. "max. 100 modifies/minute" is also user friendlier than
setting a delay of "60 seconds div 100 minus average estimated transaction
processing time". Obviously this requires continuous timing monitoring instead
of adding a simple constand delay, but I think it would be worth the effort.

Re: Enhancement suggestion

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
There are two things that can be done here:

- introduce a delay between each change

- benefit from the capability of the server to support transactions.

On the second point, OpenLDAP is going to support it (in 2.5 I believe).
ApacheDS will have it implemented in the coming version. The big
advantage of using transactions is that updates are going to be way
faster. Some tests I did on ApacheDS shows that it can update up to 4
times faster. It would be a good thing that the batch update leverage
this feature by gathering updates with a transaction (or many, like
committing every 100 updates, for instance).

On the first point, it's just a parameter to add to the Batch control, I
guess. I would suggest to fill a JIRA with such a requirement for the
sake fo tracability.

Thanks !

Re: Enhancement suggestion

Posted by Jim Willeke <ji...@willeke.com>.