Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/16 12:31:20 UTC

[compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Hi All:

Based on a recent JIRA, it seems like using Java 8 in [compress] would be
helpful. Plus, it's 2019 and Java 12 is out.

Gary

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 16:15, Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 10:05, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Note that Java 7 has extended support until at least July 2022:
> > https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/java-se-support-roadmap.html
>
> Right, but does that mean that OpenJDK (and its various forks) will
> also keep 1.7 input and output formats for just as long? Because in
> July 2022, you'll still be able to compile Java 7 code with their
> extended support version of Java 7, though not necessarily whatever
> the latest release of Java is at the time.

Let's cross that bridge when we come to it, rather than crossing the
bridge and burning it now.

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 9:51 AM Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2019-04-16, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 9:39 AM Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> >> As long as using Java 7 doesn't hurt us, I don't see any reason to
> >> update.
>
> > Using old dead versions of Java turns off potential contributors IMO.
> > You have to go dig around and install an archived version of the JDK
> > which Oracle has EOLed.
>
> How so? You can build Compress with Java 13 and nobody is going to stop
> you. If you happen to use a feature of something not supported in Java 7
> then this may point to a reason to switch.
>
> > Not only that but you can't use the more modern features and APIs.
>
> This sounds as if you believed switching to more modern language
> constructs and APIs would magically attract collaborators. Been there,
> see the dead compress-2 branch, and don't buy this anymore.

Unfortunately, IMO, a branch is not much to attract new contributors. Most
folks look at what the current release is or, at most, what is in the
current master.

Gary

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 9:39 AM Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2019-04-16, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
> > Based on a recent JIRA, it seems like using Java 8 in [compress] would be
> > helpful.
>
> I'd +1 that it bumping the dependency turned out to be really
> useful. I'm not convinced, yet.
>
> > Plus, it's 2019 and Java 12 is out.
>
> As long as using Java 7 doesn't hurt us, I don't see any reason to
> update.

Using old dead versions of Java turns off potential contributors IMO. You
have to go dig around and install an archived version of the JDK which
Oracle has EOLed. Not only that but you can't use the more modern features
and APIs.

Gary

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On Apr 16, 2019, at 8:31 AM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All:
>
> Based on a recent JIRA, it seems like using Java 8 in [compress] would be
> helpful. Plus, it's 2019 and Java 12 is out.

+1