Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by "Irving, Dave" <da...@logicacmg.com> on 2005/10/20 11:54:55 UTC

Attachments: ManagedMemoryDataSource causing me grief

Hi,

Im currently finding that extracting attachments from axis SOAP messages
is really hurting performance.
After doing some profiling, Im finding that ManagedMemoryDataSource
seems to be one of the major causes of this.
It seems that every time I extract an attachment, this data source is
writing the contents to disk.
This is taking up quite a bit of time (deleting the temporary files
seems to be the big problem).
On a system with several gigs of ram - this preemptive storage is not
something I want to be eating up time doing :o)

Im trying to find any documentation or discussion as to why this memory
sensitive caching is needed - or at least why it isn't optional
(currently, it looks like axis automatically writes any attachment over
16k to disk???).

Could someone please enlighten me on any of this - or at least point me
in the direction of any relevant docs / previous posts I should look at?
(Couldn't find anything on a search, and the java-docs don't really help
either).

Many thanks,

Dave