Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jean-Michel FRANCOIS <jm...@mururoa.com> on 2005/01/13 11:47:19 UTC

Maven console plugin

Hi,

I am using the console plugin a lot, and was wondering about
functionalities.
- Is it possible to reload the context (properties, project.xml,
maven.xml)?
- Is an history of commands planed to be implemented?

I can have a look to the code and work on a patch, but I'd like to know
if anyone else hadn't already do the job.

Thanks,
Jean-Michel

Re: Maven console plugin

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Personnally, I'm working on XP, and it keep the history in a cmd shell
and when I use the console.

Arnaud

Re: Maven console plugin

Posted by Jean-Michel FRANCOIS <jm...@mururoa.com>.
> there is already an issue in commons-jelly-tags-interaction :
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JELLY-175 with .... a joined patch.

It works! That's magic (for me at least)
I post here a little HowtTo for those interesting in having a copmmands
history in the Maven console plugin.

1.
You have to modify commons-jelly-tags-interaction in Jelly, so you have
to donwload the source code.
You apply the patch proposed in the issue at the above given URL.
As the code was changed after the issue has been published, the patch
doesn't work very well. But all you have to do is to modify the
project.xml by the hand with a new dependency (see the patch.txt).
The patch is ok for the java source code .
Then you "maven install" it.

2.
Unfortunaly jline, the tools used to implement the history facility, is
not in ibiblio.org, so you have to download it (http://jline.sf.net),
and install it in your local maven repository.

3.
At last you have to modify the project.xml of the maven console plugin
to modify the dependance on the commons-jelly-tags-interaction new
version, and to add a new dependency on jline.
To be honest, I didn't modified the console plugin sources but directly
the project.xml in $MAVEN_HOME/plugins/maven-console-plugin-1.1.jar

Next time you lunch the console you'll have the history activate.

You want more? Ok, what about completion?
Jline as a support for tab completion, so you already have it on
commands you have already entered.
There must be a way to configure jline with the list of goals but I
didn't find how in the doc...

Note that it is a hack, I hope commons-jelly-tags-interaction will
integrate jline in next release.

Cheer,
Jean-Michel

Re: Maven console plugin

Posted by Jean-Michel FRANCOIS <jm...@mururoa.com>.
You're right Brett,
there is already an issue in commons-jelly-tags-interaction :
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JELLY-175 with .... a joined patch.
I'll have a look.

Cheers,

Re: Maven console plugin

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
> - Is it possible to reload the context (properties, project.xml,
> maven.xml)?

No - in m1, this is a bit hard.

> - Is an history of commands planed to be implemented?

Nothing there yet. It would need to be implemented in
commons-jelly-tags-interaction. Please search their JIRA/mail archive
as I remember someone suggesting it but don't remember if there was a
patch or not.

> I can have a look to the code and work on a patch, but I'd like to know
> if anyone else hadn't already do the job.

That'd be great!

Cheers,
Brett