Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Yako Sanborn <ya...@bnl.gov> on 2002/03/08 20:50:03 UTC

how not to run servlet as root

I am trying out Tomcat with apache on linux.
I would like the servlets NOT to run as root.  Where can I find the
instruction how to run servlets without privilege?  I suppose this means,
how to run tomcat on an ordinary user account or as nobody?

Thank you very much,

yako sanborn
sanborn@bnl.gov

Re: how not to run servlet as root

Posted by Mark Himsley <ma...@mdsh.com>.
Include something like the following in a startup script. This I run as root
and you can see that it changes user to 'httpd' (the user my web server runs
under) and then starts catalina. It works very well, at least for me.

su - httpd -c "$CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh start"

Good luck.

--
Mark Himsley
In Acton