Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Nathan Torkington <gn...@oreilly.com> on 2002/01/06 21:28:10 UTC

take23 and what we're doing

take23.org has been very quiet.  I think it'd be cool if everyone on
this list posted a short piece about their current mod_perl project.
It could be a module they're working on, a site they built, or even
something as simple as "how I used Apache::MP3 to let everyone in our
house listen to our music collection".

It'd be fun to see what everyone else is doing, and it'd really help
give the site a lift.  If the articles were RSSed and picked up by
meerkat (www.oreillynet.com/meerkat) I think it'd do good for the
world to see a constant flow of mod_perl activity.

What do you say, Matt?

Nat

Re: take23 and what we're doing

Posted by Michael Bacarella <mb...@netgraft.com>.
> take23.org has been very quiet.  I think it'd be cool if everyone on
> this list posted a short piece about their current mod_perl project.
> It could be a module they're working on, a site they built, or even
> something as simple as "how I used Apache::MP3 to let everyone in our
> house listen to our music collection".

Remember, you asked.

http://m4m4sex.com/ is a gay personals system that targets local gay
communities in a number of cities. The site is written exclusively in
mod_perl and uses mysql as a backend. The only purpose of the site is
to ensure that people find sex partners as efficiently as possible.

I'm impressed with how well mod_perl and mysql have held up under
considerable load as more cities were added and as more users joined.
It also continued to please as we re-worked the site to allow users
to switch between languages (4 at this point) on-the-fly.

It all happens on vanilla x86 hardware. Everything from user signups,
account maintenance, online chat, secure payment options, renewing
subscriptions, reports, etc.

Hooray for mod_perl!

If you plan to reprint this somewhere, I would appreciate it if
I could be contacted first.  Thanks.

--
Michael Bacarella              | 545 Eighth Ave #401
                               | New York, NY 10018
Systems Analysis & Support     | mike@bacarella.com
Managed Services               | 212 946-1038