Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Jeremy Daggett <je...@RACKSPACE.COM> on 2014/10/16 04:12:31 UTC

Re: clearing some confusion on openstack extensions in lists

Hi Inbar,

Thanks for your message! I am also forwarding this response to the dev@ list so others can be informed.

In short. It depends…  :)

There is a lot of history around OpenStack extensions. Extensions can add attributes to an existing object (i.e. Server), reside in a new domain class, expose an additional API, or a mixture of them. They are supported in some of the OpenStack APIs, but not all of them.

I have spent quite a bit analyzing OpenStack extensions over the past 6 months. In looking at different ways we can handle the explosion of extensions (across the OpenStack jclouds APIs) I have some ideas that I want to get out to the dev@ list soon.

I will attempt to get some best practices written up soon for both developers, as well as end-users of these extensions. In the meantime, I am more than happy to help you get through these PRs and do the necessary reviews.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask! HTH

/jd

From: Inbar Stolberg <in...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 at 10:18 PM
To: "adrian. cole" <ad...@gmail.com>>, Jeremy <je...@rackspace.com>>, Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>>
Cc: "LimorBortman@gmail.com<ma...@gmail.com>" <Li...@gmail.com>>
Subject: clearing some confusion on openstack extensions in lists

hey all,

I am a little confused regarding the jclouds lists api's extensions, to be specific when do we need to add an Extensions i.e:

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/blob/master/apis/openstack-nova/src/main/java/org/jclouds/openstack/nova/v2_0/domain/Server.java#L108

and not to put it inside the domain object.

it seems some objects that are marked as "OS-EXT-<X>-ATTR" should be in the domain class and some are not, note that all fields with this prefix reside in the domain object if you look at the Json response from openstack.

i am referring to two PR where the comments where opposing each other and I feel like I am missing a big point here.

see PR's:

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/562 <-- the snpahot object only
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/574

I dont know if its me (I suspect it is :) ) or is there some kind of a rule that I am missing (seems likely).

also is that ok that for each PR we remove the abstract builder from the class?
seems like a technical debt that we can assist in removing..

regards Inbar