Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Vivek Sundararaman <vi...@vivraji.com> on 2002/08/25 08:06:56 UTC

How to Build error messages dynamically??

Hello all

I would appreciate any/ all help for my problem.

We are storing all the errors & messages displayed to the users in a
database.
We are having a controller making the calls to the database and
returning the presentation layer asset of errors or messages to be
displayed.

In my actionclass, after I make the call to the controller, based on the
success or failure of the call, I build the actionerrors with the
message sent back from controller call. These messages are not
maintained in the appresources.properties
The code in my actionclass looks like:

errors.add(ActionErrors.GLOBAL_ERROR,
                           new ActionError("error.tablemessage", "Pass
My message"));
saveErrors(request, errors);

In my appresources.properties
error.tablemessage={0}

In my jsp

This does not print the error message"Pass My message" on the page.

How to make a dynamic error or message appear in the page?

(I tried to look in the archives for answers, but couldn't find one. May
be I missed it too.)

Thank you
Vivek

Re: How to Build error messages dynamically??

Posted by vivraji <vi...@vivraji.com>.
Oops. I found where the problem is:

errors.add(ActionErrors.GLOBAL_ERROR,
 new ActionError("error.tablemessage", (String)"Pass My message"));
saveErrors(request, errors);

Pass the message as a String Object or Integer Object is what is
expected :)

Thank you Phil.

- Vivek

--- In struts@y..., Phil Steitz <ph...@s...> wrote:
> Vivek Sundararaman wrote:
>
> >Hello all
> >
> >I would appreciate any/ all help for my problem.
> >
> >We are storing all the errors & messages displayed to the users in
> >database.
> >We are having a controller making the calls to the database and
> >returning the presentation layer asset of errors or messages to be
> >displayed.
> >
> >In my actionclass, after I make the call to the controller, based
on the
> >success or failure of the call, I build the actionerrors with the
> >message sent back from controller call. These messages are not
> >maintained in the appresources.properties
> >The code in my actionclass looks like:
> >
> >ActionErrors errors = new ActionErrors();
> >errors.add(ActionErrors.GLOBAL_ERROR,
> >                           new ActionError
("error.tablemessage", "Pass

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.