Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Stou Sandalski <st...@icapsid.net> on 2003/07/07 06:32:14 UTC

development status

Hi,

I've been looking at the Alexandria site for a while, checking every
week or so. with the hope that the project has went into active
development. but since it hasn't changed, I thought I could lend a hand
to get this thing working.

I have a few years of experience with servlets (nothing production
level), and recently started developing JSP apps for my job (at the
university I attend). I have classes and work, so I am not sure how much
time I can invest in this, but I should be able to put in a couple of
hours every few days at least.

My primary interest is in developing a CVS repository browser using
java, I use a PHP based one (horde-chora) which doesn't have all the
capabilities I want, and a python one (viewcvs+cvsgraph) which seems a
bit archaic to me.so I would prefer to have something more 'modern'.
If I understand correctly Alexandria is supposed to provide such a
capability.and I would like to help build it.  I understand that
Alexandria generates mostly static html pages, so maybe there isn't
anything for me to do, but if there is. please let me know. or maybe
point me in a different direction.

Thanks

Stou

RE: development status

Posted by Stou Sandalski <st...@icapsid.net>.
Haha I usually get told what features an app has and all I have to do is
code it... I am not really sure how to write a doc listing the
features... all I can think of at the moment (because its basically all
I have needed)... is an application that can:
	- Browse the source code repository in real time (not a checked
out version), different revisions, tags, log entries... show the file
contents with syntax highlighting (like enscript does for viewcvs)
	- Allow users to download tarballs of different revisions and
modules (anonymous cvs straight from the site basically)...
	- Show a graphical representation of the revision tree.
	- Generate javadocs, and docs for other languages too.
	- Cross linking of code so it can be browsed easier not just
flat style but with links to different functions... (kind of like xlr
does it)
	- It would be nice to be able to link straight to a line of code
or function from the outside (so bug tracking systems can link straight
to)
	- should possibly provide access control on a per-project basis
(one installation multiple projects)

	That's kind of it, basically I was thinking of something that's
xlr+viewcvs+cvsgraph+javadoc all wrapped up into one, easily
customizable and expandable, built on top of existing frameworks (apache
has so many projects I really can't keep up)...
	I was thinking that stuff that requires a lot of text processing
(lxr, and docs) can be cached (database, files, whatever)... and will
only have to be done against tags in the CVS not every file revision
(maybe?)...

I am not sure how much of this fits in... but yea, sorry for the
novelette. : )

Stou

Barozzi
> Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 1:31 AM
> To: alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: development status

<snip>

http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/alexandria-docs/xml-cocoon/

Re: development status

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stou Sandalski wrote, On 07/07/2003 6.32:

> Hi,
>
> I've been looking at the Alexandria site for a while, checking every
> week or so. with the hope that the project has went into active
> development. but since it hasn't changed, I thought I could lend a hand
> to get this thing working.

Good! :-)

> I have a few years of experience with servlets (nothing production
> level), and recently started developing JSP apps for my job (at the
> university I attend). I have classes and work, so I am not sure how much
> time I can invest in this, but I should be able to put in a couple of
> hours every few days at least.

:-)

> My primary interest is in developing a CVS repository browser using
> java, I use a PHP based one (horde-chora) which doesn't have all the
> capabilities I want, and a python one (viewcvs+cvsgraph) which seems a
> bit archaic to me.so I would prefer to have something more 'modern'.
> If I understand correctly Alexandria is supposed to provide such a
> capability.and I would like to help build it.  I understand that
> Alexandria generates mostly static html pages, so maybe there isn't
> anything for me to do, but if there is. please let me know. or maybe
> point me in a different direction.

Well, the goal of Alexandria is to generate documentation about a
project. ATM it is made to work to generate the docs offline, and here
is an example:
http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/alexandria-docs/xml-cocoon/

But this is not optimal it seems, as the size of the generated docs is
very big, and I doubt that generating all this stuff statically for big
projects is going to be the answer.

So yes, I'm very interested in seeing it go to a server-based solution,
with the possibility of still generating the offline docs for who wanbts
them.

There is an Apache project called Cocoon http://cocoon.apache.org/ that
can be very nice for this, as it also powers Forrest
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/, so that Alexandria and Forrest could
integrate visually and in linking.

What I would propose you to do now, is to hash out a document that
describes the functionality that you0d like to see in this server-based
version of Alexandria, and see how the current static functionality can
be accounted for.

Thanks :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -