Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gregg Mendez <jb...@ambitiouslemon.com> on 2007/12/28 00:02:37 UTC

[users@httpd] Help with 301 redirect of wordpress rss feed to new domain

I've been struggling to create a .htaccess 301 redirect for an rss
feed from a wordpress blog that is used for a podcast.  Essentially
the situation is that I changed the domain name of my podcast and have
been unable to get iTunes to update the rss feed to the new rss feed
at the new domain.  There are 2 methods for changing the feed
location: 1) to add a new-feed-url tag to the rss feed 2) to  add a
301 redirect to point the old feed url to the new feed url.  Apple
recommends doing both, but as of yet I have only tried the first
option.  Its been about 6 months and iTunes has failed to notice the
new-feed-url tag in the feed so I thought I should add a 301 redirect
in addition in order to get iTunes to update.  If it matters I am
using the latest release of wordpress and podpress plugin, Apache 2
and Gentoo in a shared hosting environment where I have root access to
the entire server.

I need http://www.djaradio.com/?feed=rss2 to redirect to http://www.discjockeyamerica.com/?feed=podcast

Currently my .htaccess file looks like this:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
Redirect 301 /?feed=rss2 http://www.discjockeyamerica.com/?feed=podcast
Redirect 301 /arn.html http://www.discjockeyamerica.com/?feed=podcast

The arn.html redirect is just there for testing, but notice that it
does properly redirect as expected while the /?feed=rss2 redirect does
not.

I tried escaping the unusual characters as below:
Redirect 301 /%3ffeed%3drss2 http://www.discjockeyamerica.com/?feed=podcast
This didn't work though.

The wordpress forums have lots of similar posts but nothing for this
specific problem, and most questions of this nature have gone
unanswered.  I have posted to the podpress plugin forum, but think
this might be a bit outside the expertise found at that forum.  So far
most help I have received has been through google searches.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: [users@httpd] Help with 301 redirect of wordpress rss feed to new domain

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 27, 2007 6:02 PM, Gregg Mendez <jb...@ambitiouslemon.com> wrote:
> Redirect 301 /?feed=rss2 http://www.discjockeyamerica.com/?feed=podcast
> Redirect 301 /arn.html http://www.discjockeyamerica.com/?feed=podcast

The 2nd argument is a URL-path, which doesn't include the query string.

Try using RewriteCond to check the query string and RewriteRule to
send the redirect.

RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} feed=rss2