Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Joshua Marinacci <jo...@joshy.net> on 2005/04/26 15:31:09 UTC

Black background problem

Hi guys. I've just started to use Batik. It's pretty cool!

I'm working on a program to convert SVG to EPS. I have made a simple
app which loads an SVG file into a JSVGCanvas and shows it on screen.
This works fine. When I want to export to EPS I create an EpsGraphics2D
object and pass it into the paint method of my canvas.  The resulting
file looks fine except that the background is black.  If I paint a blue
background onto the graphics and then paint the svg canvas I get blue
everywhere outside the bounds of the canvas, but the background of the
canvas is still black. I can paint a blue background on top of the svg
canvas and that works too. It's just the actual canvas area that seems
to get the black background. Strangely the on screen painting of the
canvas is white, though. It's only painting to the EpsGraphics2D where
it produces the black.

Any ideas?

oh, the eps graphics project is here:

	http://www.jibble.org/epsgraphics/

Thanks.

- Joshua

Re: Black background problem

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Guessed correctly, I'm afraid. The EPS output is not as far advanced as
the other output formats. PDF output should work with gradients.

I don't have this stuff present in my brain right now but maybe it's
possible to let Batik render the gradients as bitmaps which the EPS
output then uses. But it could also be that the bitmap support in the
EPS output is also not quite there, yet.

On 26.04.2005 16:14:43 Joshua Marinacci wrote:
> Thanks. That works well and means I have one less dependency. I'm also
> interested in PDF and EPS rendering for Flying Saucer (an XHMTL
> Renderer).
>
> On thing to note.  I'm converting an SVG I got from the open clip art
> library. It's a picture of a leave with shades of brown and red.  The
> resulting EPS still has the green strokes but the shaded background
> turns to plain black. I'm guessing that EPS doesn't support gradients?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Black background problem

Posted by Joshua Marinacci <jo...@joshy.net>.
Thanks. That works well and means I have one less dependency. I'm also
interested in PDF and EPS rendering for Flying Saucer (an XHMTL
Renderer).

On thing to note.  I'm converting an SVG I got from the open clip art
library. It's a picture of a leave with shades of brown and red.  The
resulting EPS still has the green strokes but the shaded background
turns to plain black. I'm guessing that EPS doesn't support gradients?

Thanks,
- Josh

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
I'd try using the EPSTranscoder that's in pdf-transcoder.jar coming with
Batik. The full class name is: org.apache.fop.render.ps.EPSTranscoder.
Just follow the basic transcoding pattern described here:
http://xml.apache.org/batik/rasterizerTutorial.html

As an alternative you can also try
org.apache.fop.render.ps.EPSDocumentGraphics2D which should be roughly
equivalent to the thing you used.

On 26.04.2005 15:31:09 Joshua Marinacci wrote:
> Hi guys. I've just started to use Batik. It's pretty cool!
>
> I'm working on a program to convert SVG to EPS. I have made a simple
> app which loads an SVG file into a JSVGCanvas and shows it on screen.
> This works fine. When I want to export to EPS I create an EpsGraphics2D
> object and pass it into the paint method of my canvas.  The resulting
> file looks fine except that the background is black.  If I paint a blue
> background onto the graphics and then paint the svg canvas I get blue
> everywhere outside the bounds of the canvas, but the background of the
> canvas is still black. I can paint a blue background on top of the svg
> canvas and that works too. It's just the actual canvas area that seems
> to get the black background. Strangely the on screen painting of the
> canvas is white, though. It's only painting to the EpsGraphics2D where
> it produces the black.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> oh, the eps graphics project is here:
>
> 	http://www.jibble.org/epsgraphics/