Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Anita Thomas <an...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2007/03/09 09:30:46 UTC

Appropriate version of Tomcat

Dear All

  I'd like to build a jsp website which uses libraries like Jena and some other educational java packages. My system is running Windows XP.

  Is Tomcat 6 Windows Service Installer  the appropriate choice for me ? Or I need other versions like zip ?

  Thank you for your help
  Anita

---------------------------------

Re: Appropriate version of Tomcat

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Richard Gemmell [mailto:richard@moglit.demon.co.uk]
>> Subject: Re: Appropriate version of Tomcat
>>
>> I'd recommend the Windows Service Installer version.
>>

> I'd recommend NOT using the .exe download, but instead use the .zip:
>
> 1) The .exe leaves out the .bat files, which make experimenting with and
> debugging Tomcat much easier.
>
> 2) The .zip includes a script (service.bat) to install Tomcat as a
> service any time you want.
>
> 3) The .exe installer puts Tomcat under the Program Files directory; the
> space in the directory name can cause confusion for programs not
> prepared to handle that.

Use the 8.3 filename in %CATALINA_HOME% and you solve that problem.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Richard Gemmell [mailto:richard@moglit.demon.co.uk]
> Subject: Re: Appropriate version of Tomcat
>
> How does using the .bat files make debugging easier?

Primarily because it gives you a console window for things like
triggering thread dumps.  If your environment includes any native code,
you'll see such things as segflt interrupts immediately.  Also, I find
it a lot easier to check out option changes (e.g., heap, debugging) via
the command line before using tomcat5w to set them for the service.

> Do you mean debugging Tomcat itslef or your webapps?

Both.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Appropriate version of Tomcat

Posted by Richard Gemmell <ri...@moglit.demon.co.uk>.
David Kerber wrote:
> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> I'd recommend NOT using the .exe download, but instead use the .zip:
>>
>> 1) The .exe leaves out the .bat files, which make experimenting with and
>> debugging Tomcat much easier.

Chuck. How does using the .bat files make debugging easier? (I'm not
arguing, I'm just curious.) Do you mean debugging Tomcat itslef or your
webapps?

>> 3) The .exe installer puts Tomcat under the Program Files directory; the
>> space in the directory name can cause confusion for programs not
>> prepared to handle that.
>>

> I've never had problems with the "Program Files" name, and I normally
> use the windows installer for the initial installation.  After doing the
> windows install, I unzip the .zip version on top of it.  That gives me
> the .bat files to tweak the installation the way I want, with less setup
> effort.

I haven't had any problems with the "Program Files" name for years.

cheers,
Richard

Re: Appropriate version of Tomcat

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>>From: Richard Gemmell [mailto:richard@moglit.demon.co.uk]
>>Subject: Re: Appropriate version of Tomcat
>>
>>I'd recommend the Windows Service Installer version.
>>

>I'd recommend NOT using the .exe download, but instead use the .zip:
>
>1) The .exe leaves out the .bat files, which make experimenting with and
>debugging Tomcat much easier.
>
>2) The .zip includes a script (service.bat) to install Tomcat as a
>service any time you want.
>
>3) The .exe installer puts Tomcat under the Program Files directory; the
>space in the directory name can cause confusion for programs not
>prepared to handle that.

I've never had problems with the "Program Files" name, and I normally
use the windows installer for the initial installation.  After doing the
windows install, I unzip the .zip version on top of it.  That gives me
the .bat files to tweak the installation the way I want, with less setup
effort.

Dave

RE: Appropriate version of Tomcat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Richard Gemmell <ri...@moglit.demon.co.uk>.
Hi Anita,

Anita Thomas wrote:
>   I'd like to build a jsp website which uses libraries like Jena
 >   and some other educational java packages. My system is running
 >   Windows XP.
>
>   Is Tomcat 6 Windows Service Installer  the appropriate choice for me ?
 > Or I need other versions like zip ?

I'd recommend the Windows Service Installer version.

It's basically the same as the other versions except that it contains a
Windows installer programme that puts all the files in the right places
and creates a Windows service.

The Windows service means that Tomcat will start automatically when you
reboot your PC.

cheers,
Richard