Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Cameron Smith <ca...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2007/09/15 18:27:22 UTC

Rich client: licensing and other features

Following on from the discussion about ZK and other rich technologies:
 a. In terms of compatibility with OFBiz's Apache 2 license, ZK is definitely not compatible for inclusion in OFBiz itself (as it uses dual HPL-Commercial, like MySQL or Opentaps).  This has been pointed out on this previously.
    OpenLaszlo (which I am sure could be integrated with OFBiz technically, as I have integrated it with existing standalone tomcat applications before) uses CPL which on my reading is probably compatible with Apache 2.0.

 b. In term of the best value-for-money option, my (and my company's) money is on ZK.  We bought commercial licenses, because our programmers receive salaries, and every hour they spend reinventing the wheel instead of using someone else's wheel, however fun it may be, is an additional cost.

cameron

Re: Rich client: licensing and other features

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
De : "skip@theDevers" <sk...@thedevers.org>
>In addition, there are several forks
> which add to this work (Opentaps and Noegia (spelling?).

Neogia, I almost alway type it like you, and have to retype, same for prodcut, arg !

Jacques

RE: Rich client: licensing and other features

Posted by "skip@theDevers" <sk...@thedevers.org>.
Cameron

"In term of the best value-for-money option, my (and my company's) money is
on ZK.  We bought commercial licenses, because our programmers receive
salaries, and every hour they spend reinventing the wheel instead of using
someone else's wheel, however fun it may be, is an additional cost."

Well said and very true.  However, there is no chance of integrating ZK with
Ofbiz because of the licensing.  There is a chance of doing it with
OpenLazlo.  Ofbiz is an open source project and all benefit from the
collective work of the contributors.  In addition, there are several forks
which add to this work (Opentaps and Noegia (spelling?).  On these
collective versions are built many real live implementations.

If we look at the usefulness, additions to Ofbiz benefit everyone.
Additions to Opentaps and Noegia benefit their users but not all Ofbiz
users.  Changes to individual implementations benenit the implementations
alone.

ZK can only ever fit in the last catagory.

It is my view that usability by the end user should be the most important
consideration in an project.  For this reason, a rich UI is highly desirable
(maybe even manditory in some cases).  It certainly is manditory in the ones
I currently serve.  I have therefore been evaluating the alternatives and
have carefully read the two missives you wrote in the Ofbiz wiki and
TheServerSide.com.  In the later case, you rated the various technologies .
In your abcde list of criteria, I think you missed one, and that being

f.  The number of users likely to benefit from it's adoption.

If that list was re-evaluated today including my f, Openlazlo would win with
a 5 vs. 4.5.

Having said that, I personally like ZK better (with only a cursory look at
both).  But, for the communities sake, I may choose Openlazlo instead (or
might use the existing Dojo).

Skip