Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@apache.org> on 2004/11/22 21:56:19 UTC

Re: Globus @ Apache

> At 05:36 PM 11/22/2004 +0000, Steve Loughran wrote:
>
>> 5. I dont know what the globus dev process is. Really. Are they
>> already in the gump? are the binaries in the Maven repository? What is
>> their test process? Do they have smartfrog deployment descriptors
>> (they do inside hp :). I like the judicious oversight of Gump on all
>> projects, inside apache and out, to show that a project knows and
>> embraces current thinking on OSS java dev best practises.

Steve, be fair. Few projects, if any, have been integrated into Gump, Maven,
or whatever, when *entering* the Incubator. The purpose is, that they do
when *leaving*.

I have a different concern, though. To me, this projects extends the scope
of the Apache WS by far. Yes, it probably has components, that fit very
well. However, it is so big and self contained, that I would recommend to
make it a top level project. In other words: Leave the decision to the
Incubator.
Said components can very well be separated and moved to WS. (Which would
also be a clear indicator of synergy effects.)

Jochen

Re: Globus @ Apache

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
"Steve Loughran" <st...@gmail.com> writes:

> Anyway -there is clear need for grid projects, Apache could become a
> host for this, but, like you say, it is potentially much bigger than
> just WS-*, which is simply one of the possible interconnect protocols.
>
> A high level grid.apache.org project could be a better place. However,
> that is a very major event.

I agree. Going forward that would make most sense .. for all the grid
stuff to get under one PMC. I see the WS project as being the base
for it, but not any more than say the XML project is the base for the
WS project.

However, I don't think we should do that yet. ApacheSOAP was started
under the XML project as was Axis. Later we moved to a new TLP. I
suggest we take the same path with the "grid" projects.

Sanjiva.

Re: Globus @ Apache

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:56:19 +0100, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> > At 05:36 PM 11/22/2004 +0000, Steve Loughran wrote:
> >
> >> 5. I dont know what the globus dev process is. Really. Are they
> >> already in the gump? are the binaries in the Maven repository? What is
> >> their test process? Do they have smartfrog deployment descriptors
> >> (they do inside hp :). I like the judicious oversight of Gump on all
> >> projects, inside apache and out, to show that a project knows and
> >> embraces current thinking on OSS java dev best practises.
> >

> Steve, be fair. Few projects, if any, have been integrated into Gump, Maven,
> or whatever, when *entering* the Incubator. The purpose is, that they do
> when *leaving*.

OK. It is just that any OSS project can have a gump descriptor if they
want to; I use it as a metric of how integrated the project is with
mainstream OSS java dev.

> I have a different concern, though. To me, this projects extends the scope
> of the Apache WS by far. Yes, it probably has components, that fit very
> well. However, it is so big and self contained, that I would recommend to
> make it a top level project. In other words: Leave the decision to the
> Incubator.
> Said components can very well be separated and moved to WS. (Which would
> also be a clear indicator of synergy effects.)

This is a valid point.

Certainly the underpinnings of ws.apache.org - Axis and extensions are
core to the current implementation of the current grid architecture.
But WS-RF-based Grid and the many related standards is an application
of web services, rather than an integral part. There are lots of other
things in there too, and many related projects. Like my day work on
deployment, which is related to GGF standards. There we have

-A gridforge  project for mail lists. This is sourceforge outsourced,
but doesnt provide any SCM facilities

-deployment.sourceforge.net : something BSD licensed to keep things
like schemas and docs under SCM.

-smartfrog.sourceforge.net: where one of the three implementations will go.

Anyway -there is clear need for grid projects, Apache could become a
host for this, but, like you say, it is potentially much bigger than
just WS-*, which is simply one of the possible interconnect protocols.

A high level grid.apache.org project could be a better place. However,
that is a very major event.

-steve