Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1997/04/06 23:50:02 UTC

mod_negotiation/94

The following reply was made to PR mod_negotiation/94; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
To: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: mod_negotiation/94
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 15:41:44 -0600 (MDT)

 Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 04:42:01 GMT
 Server: Apache/1.2b7
 Connection: close
 Accept-Ranges: bytes

 but I expected the picture.jpg here, because the file as .gif
 is 62079 bytes and therefore larger than maxbytes.

 have you tried this?

 regards,
 | Tino Wildenhain                                     |
 | Nordh�user Str. 63 WH I/113, 99089 Erfurt, Germany  |
 | Tel: +49 361 737 1878                               |
 | http://www.home.pages.de/~cdTv/                     |
 | mailto:wildenht@komm.rz.ph-erfurt.de                |

Re: mod_negotiation/94

Posted by Paul Sutton <pa...@ukweb.com>.
On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
>  Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 03:47:57 +0100
>  From: Tino Wildenhain <wi...@RZ.PH-Erfurt.DE>
>  To: marc@hyperreal.com
>  Subject: Re: Changed information for PR mod_negotiation/94
>
>  Am 07-Feb-97 schrieb marc@hyperreal.com:
>  But the mod_negotiation seems to have another problem:
>
>  the vary-maps dont work at all, I ve set up a test with
>  a file picture.gif (62079 bytes) and a file picture.jpg (22578 bytes)
>  [...]
>  but I expected the picture.jpg here, because the file as .gif
>  is 62079 bytes and therefore larger than maxbytes.

If you are chatting with this person, remind them that if they use a
var-map file then _NO_ information is read from the file system -- in
particular, if they want file sizes to be taking into consideration, they
must add them manually to the var-map (as "Content-Length: 62079" etc).

If they do have this information in their map file, then it might be a
bug.

By the way, this can cause confusion because the file information is used
when the variant is directly requested. For example, the type-map could
say

  URI: fish.en.html

and it would be negotiated on as a German document, but when actually
requested it would be marked as being in English.

It might also be worth noting that maxbytes is not part of HTTP/1.1 so new
browsers probably won't bother sending it (I'm not aware of any existing
ones which sent it either).

//pcs