Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Aniket Kumar <00...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/30 09:59:33 UTC

Issues in compiling Solr code.

Hi All,

I am trying to build and compile Solr . I have been following the below
link .

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToCompileSolr

I have taken the latest version of code and have run ant clean compile
command , followed by ant dist. Both the steps were successful, but no war
 was created(as per the wiki , a war should be created which should be
copied to "...\LuceneSolr
<https://wiki.apache.org/solr/LuceneSolr>\solr\example\webapps
folder ".(I cannot find any webapps folder under example folder either !!).

Can someone please help me , and let me know what steps should be taken to
bring up the server , and am I missing something here.

In case , there's an updated wiki link, please redirect me to the same.

Appreciate the help.

Cheers,
Aniket

Re: Issues in compiling Solr code.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/30/2015 1:59 AM, Aniket Kumar wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I am trying to build and compile Solr . I have been following the below
> link .
>
> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToCompileSolr
>
> I have taken the latest version of code and have run ant clean compile
> command , followed by ant dist. Both the steps were successful, but no war
>  was created(as per the wiki , a war should be created which should be
> copied to "...\LuceneSolr
> <https://wiki.apache.org/solr/LuceneSolr>\solr\example\webapps
> folder ".(I cannot find any webapps folder under example folder either !!).

As of Solr 5.0, things have changed.  Solr is still a war, but the war
is embedded in the example, and the example has changed quite a lot.
Run "ant example" instead of "ant dist" and then you will find that you
can start solr by typing "bin/solr start" or "bin\solr start" on
Windows.  You might also consider typing "ant package" which will create
entire .zip and .tgz packages similar to what you download from the website.

Here's the beginnings of a discussion about why we are changing the
packaging:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/WhyNoWar

Our startup infrastructure and documentation still need work, especially
in the parts describing how to take Solr to production.  When I find
some free time, I will be doing what I can to make this better.

Thanks,
Shawn