Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "William C. Mount" <Mo...@cat.com> on 2005/11/17 19:44:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Default filename for downloading files.

Hello everyone,
   I've got an apache 2 webserver that's sole purpose is to serve files for
downloading.  My customer wants the ability to click on anyfile and in the
save window, have a default file name already exist.

for example, i have 5 files in the directory.

xxx.zip
yyy.zip
zzz.zip
aaa.zip
bbb.zip

Regardless of which file they click on, he wants the default file name in
the save window to be production-zipfile.zip

Is there anyway in apache 2 to do that?

Thanks in advance,
William C. Mount RHCE
J2EE Web Solutions CoEx
Global IT Solutions
Caterpillar Inc.
600 W. Washington St.
East Peoria IL,  61630
(309) 675-3031 - Desk
(309) 256-8099 - Cell
mountwc@cat.com

"I love the way Microsoft follows standards.  In much the same manner that
fish follow migrating caribou."
  -- Paul Tomblin

Re: [users@httpd] Default filename for downloading files.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 11/17/05, William C. Mount <Mo...@cat.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>    I've got an apache 2 webserver that's sole purpose is to serve files for
> downloading.  My customer wants the ability to click on anyfile and in the
> save window, have a default file name already exist.
>

> for example, i have 5 files in the directory.
>
> xxx.zip
> yyy.zip
> zzz.zip
> aaa.zip
> bbb.zip
>

> Regardless of which file they click on, he wants the default file name in
> the save window to be production-zipfile.zip
>
> Is there anyway in apache 2 to do that?

I know of two things you can do to help.  You may need to combine the
two to get consistent results across browsers:

1. Set "AcceptPathInfo On"
and then instead of requesting http://yoursite.example.com/yyy.zip,
request http://yoursite.example.com/yyy.zip/production-zipfile.zip

2. Use mod_headers to send the Content-Disposition head with the
filename= option.  Something like
Head Add Content-Disposition filename=production-zipfile.zip

Joshua.