Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Zaizen Ushio <uz...@spectrum.co.jp> on 2013/09/14 03:14:33 UTC

Solr Patent

Hello
I have a question about patent.  I believe Apache license is protecting Solr developers from patent issue in Solr community.  But is there any case that Solr developer or Solr users are alleged by outside of Solr Community?  Is there any cases somebody experienced?  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,  Zaizen

Re: Solr Patent

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I am not a lawyer.

The Apache Software Foundation cannot 'protect Solr developers.'

Patent infringement is a claim made against someone who derived economic
benefit from an invention, not someone who writes code.

The patent clause in the Apache License requires people who contribute code
to grant certain licenses. It does not, and cannot, prevent someone else
from asserting that a user of Apache Solr is infringing on some patent
owned by someone who has never contributed to the project.

Re: Solr Patent

Posted by Shashi Kant <sk...@sloan.mit.edu>.
You can ask on this site http://patents.stackexchange.com/

--