Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> on 2015/04/17 16:03:05 UTC

Special Board Report

Hi guys.  The board requested a report this month and had some
specific questions around the hornetq code donation.  I've put up a
first cut a report on the Wiki at:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=55155578

Hopefully we can finish off the code donation naming vote soon a
report that too.

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
If I might poke my nose in ...

What the board wants is a report that addresses the path forward with
the HornetQ code, sure, but more importantly, addresses the concerns
raised by the minority voice in the community about whether that
minority voice is being heard, and how that is going to be addressed.

I'm sure you've heard the mantra - the board isn't so concerned with
technical decisions as with matters of community and project
sustainability and independence.

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Clebert, it's not about you. Nobody has anything against you as a person.

Remember one thing please, I joined ASF as an individual. I signed the
contributor's agreement as Clebert Suconic. RedHat donated the code,
but I'm an individual contributing.. hence I'm doing it as Clebert.

You my say that Red Hat pays my salary, I agree... but that's a
different thing... I'm exercising my will here as an individual.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@jboss.com
http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Look Hiram, there already is consensus around changing the name to a
code name. In my opinion, still not enough.

The plan to merge HornetQ into ActiveMQ didn't bother me either, I voted
for it in the beginning. What bothers me a lot, is what I perceive as a
sneaky way to go about it. Why not be open about it, advocate for it,
work for it and build consensus and acceptance instead of putting
everybody in front of a 'take it or leave it' choice. That's what rubbed

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Tracy Snell <ts...@gmail.com>.
Well, they are frequently pointed out as being voiced by a “couple” of dissenters and claims that those dissenters are calling the RH side evil. It’s a nice debate tactic completely avoiding the actual points at hand.

There have been valid questions, voiced by more than a couple that more often than not result in attacks on the poster or question instead of actually addressing the point at hand. So much that I stopped bothering and sent my issues and questions directly to a board member.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Exactly. Thanks!
Hadrian

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.com>.
> No crossover at all is not consolidation. The propose release was completely done by a team independent of the AMQ5 team.

I understand your point, but it doesn't cause me any alarm.  I see consolidation as a process.  I outlined a few reasons for why I thought the crossover was limited at this point.  I expect it to get better as time passes.

Justin

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Tracy Snell <ts...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.com>.
> To me it seems like 1 project and 2 teams.

In my opinion, one could chalk this up to the fact that the two communities are in the process of consolidating.  It seems natural to me that there would be an initial separation.  All the re-branding and transition work for the IP clearance phase is best (and most safely) done by folks already familiar with the code-base so it's not clear to me that the current base of committers on Artemis is problematic.  Furthermore, the overall plan for the donated code-base was obviously not communicated with sufficient clarity for all involved and that has almost certainly impacted more wide-spread involvement.  Once the plan from the PMC is clear and once ActiveMQ Artemis 1.0 is released (assuming that will be the plan - not something I take for granted) I would expect additional community participation.  In fact, I've already seen encouraging signs with Jeff Genender's latest PR and discussion(s) in IRC.

Justin

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
>Now I have stop being a squeaky wheel. It's sad to notice that some interests seem to be clouding common sense. Why didn't you > guys admit a few weeks back that it was a mistake? Actually, when did you realize it was a mistake?

We actually did right away, remember?...We tried to rename it to
6.0.0.M1... (not final any longer... we would have M2, M3... until it
was ready to be released).

But these email threads get so long that 3 days ago seem 1 year ago.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com>.
Tracy,

We are getting commits and contributions from those outside the HornetQ
team.  It is natural that the majority of work at this point would be
done by those familiar with the code base.  The ActiveMQ Artemis project
has only been around for 6 month or so.  Therefore every commit on the
code base is reasonably recent.  Looking at that list again the
following people, who were not oh the HornetQ have contributed at least
one commit:

Hiram Chirino
Robert Gemmell
nberdikov
Claus Ibsen
Felix Becker
Ivo Studensky
Jeff Genender
John D. Ament

I'm sure that the last 6 months of ActiveMQ commits would tell a similar
story; a few guys who are really familiar with the code base and with a
lot of experience churn out lots of commits.  With others contributing
commits as and when they have time.  The stats don't show an equal
distribution of work but they do show diversity and interest.

Cheers
Martyn

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Tracy Snell <ts...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Tracy Snell <ts...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Apr 20, 2015 9:36 PM, "Clebert Suconic" <cl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Yes. Almost exclusively done by the HornetQ team (going by the commit
logs and the team page at HornetQ’s website).

> That was done this way because we were getting ready for the IP
> Clearance and what was needed for the first release.
> As part of the IP clearance process we were supposed to get rid of
> Cat-X dependencies (the JMS API JAR was LGPL for instance... so we
> needed to find a replacement which was completed by John Ament here.

Its worth pointing out in my opinion that even though I've been named a
JBoss Champion recently, RedHat doesnt pay my salary and had nothing to do
with that API JAR.

John

> >> We incorporated OpenWire, changed how connection factories are
> >> serialized and persisted to be exactly the same as what's done on
> >> ActiveMQ5, the server start was recently changed to be exactly as
> >> what's done on Apollo, Documentation was changed around a lot to be
> >> consistent with Apache brands... etc.. etc.. etc…
> >
> > All hard work and looks awesome. Impressive effort. What bothers me is
the we part. The we isn’t the ActiveMQ community as a whole, it’s the
formerly HornetQ community subset. A shocking lack of diversity on the
people front, not the code front.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Tracy Snell <ts...@gmail.com>.
> On Apr 20, 2015, at 8:54 PM, Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It was pretty clear from the beginning this was going to be a
> sub-project and we would incorporate changes.. there was a new repo
> open, a new JIRA open, new jiras fed...     and 205 Pull requests with
> about 400 committs in 4 months…

Yes. Almost exclusively done by the HornetQ team (going by the commit logs and the team page at HornetQ’s website).

> We incorporated OpenWire, changed how connection factories are
> serialized and persisted to be exactly the same as what's done on
> ActiveMQ5, the server start was recently changed to be exactly as
> what's done on Apollo, Documentation was changed around a lot to be
> consistent with Apache brands... etc.. etc.. etc…

All hard work and looks awesome. Impressive effort. What bothers me is the we part. The we isn’t the ActiveMQ community as a whole, it’s the formerly HornetQ community subset. A shocking lack of diversity on the people front, not the code front.

I’m still a big fan of things going exactly where you and others want them to. I’m just not happy with the process so far and the distinct teams working on 5 vs Artemis.

The HornetQ folks have done some awesome work.

> Nothing different than what agreed was done...
>
> Nothing was done behind meeting rooms I assure you.. in fact we were
> just set to deliver what we agreed as part of the donation, while we
> were clearing up the Cat-X dependencies and renames.

Some wonder because there is direct benefit to RedHat in this (not that that’s evil or even wrong) and everyone seems to pretending there isn’t. Supporting one MQ vs two is a win, planned or not. RedHat is a company I admire with many employees I consider friends, all of whom speak highly of the company (I don’t know of any other company with so many happy employees). So someone can ignore my points and claim I’m just anti RedHat or some other utter bullshit but it’d be just that.

In the meantime I have to go put my sys admin hat on (and it fits poorly) and bang on my Centos (Thanks RH!) test servers.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
I think it is worth pointing out that the code donation is in the
incubator, the short form of incubation to complete ip clearance[1].

Implicit in that is the intent to collaborate with an existing
community, not to create a new community.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
You are the second person to allege that I am acting with secret instructions and communications on this.  I demand a pubic apology, immediately.  I have done no such thing, all my communications with anyone about this issue have been on this list, and in reply to others raising similar issue on the pmc list.  This is disgusting.

No thanks at all.
david jenc\ks

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
Hadrian, I asked you sincerely to explain your points and you start off by
insulting me. I've been here the whole time reading these discussions, but
the problem is that your points do not stick to facts and your responses
always devolve into accusations and attacks which cause even more
confusion. The result of which we can see here with your attack of David.
He was simply trying to get some clarity around your actual points by
restating what he thinks you're trying to say. He even prefaced his points
by saying the following:

'My apologies for misrepresenting what anyone and everyone has said.  In
particular, I think Art and Hadrian have been the squeaky wheels, and I may
still be missing a lot of what you are concerned about.  On the other hand
a lot of my questions have gone unanswered.'

David was only trying to take the time to understand your points and you
reward his efforts by insulting him. This is definitely not the community
spirit that I'd like to be fostering here.

Bruce

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
Agreed, I just updated this. I also added a statement to clarify that
the HornetQ
open source project is now considered a legacy project and the code is no
longer maintained as the open source project HornetQ.

Bruce

Re: Special Board Report

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: Special Board Report