Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Ed Staub <es...@mediaone.net> on 2000/07/16 18:08:56 UTC

[XRI] XRI requirements list posted to Apache website

The XRI requirements list is now available at
http://xml.apache.org/xerces-j/issues.html.  (Thanks, Ted!)  This may not be
the final location of it; we may want to set up a separate subdirectory for
it.

It has not been checked into CVS yet; there were problems with the CVS
server over the weekend.

I edited the requirements list from the mail which have been sent to
general@xml.apache.org and xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org since July 8th.

I only included requirements.  Internal design issues were not included,
except where they have a bearing on requirements (e.g., "int string ids" vs.
readability).

The list could use some reorganization.  Suggestions would be appreciated.

The "hardness" values need editing.
The "status" of requirements is likely to be murky.  I've made my best guess
in a few cases, and left most of them "unevaluated" for the moment.  I'll
fill them in over the next week.  Even after I do, bear in mind that:

	- There's never any firm decision, because we aren't using any specified
process.
	- Even if there were a firm decision, if no one implements it, the decision
is irrelevant!

  These are not complaints, just a caution to the reader.

In order to keep the size down, I didn't include every single reference.
References were selected because of:
	novel material; the author said something which wasn't in another reference
	explicit vote: the author gave a +1, -1, or 0
	author: occasionally I included a reference just because of who said it
In short, I tried to include everything which would help others make a
decision on the requirement, and nothing more.

If anyone wants something they said referenced, or removed, just drop Ted
and me a note.  Just one thing: if your position on something has
significantly changed, please also post mail to the xerces-j-dev list so
that there's something on record that we didn't filter.

Starting July 24, Ted Leung and I will be alternating weeks of
responsibility for editing the requirements.  If you don't know who has the
baton, send input to both of us if you want to ensure quick action.
mailto:estaub@mediaone.net, mailto:twleung@sauria.com.

Planned edits:

	Move some "features" into a "supported standards" section.
	Rename from Xerces2 to XRI.  This seems to be the name with the least
problems.
	Add a "conflicts with <other-requirement>" tag on some items.

-Ed Staub
xmlist at large

Re: [XRI] XRI requirements list posted to Apache website

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
> The XRI requirements list is now available at
> http://xml.apache.org/xerces-j/issues.html.  (Thanks, Ted!)  This may not
be
> the final location of it; we may want to set up a separate subdirectory
for
> it.

Ed and Ted -- the document looks great!  I'll finish reading it and may
provide more feedback later.

-Edwin

Re: [XRI] XRI requirements list posted to Apache website

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
on 7/16/00 9:08 AM, Ed Staub at estaub@mediaone.net wrote:

> The XRI requirements list is now available at
> http://xml.apache.org/xerces-j/issues.html.  (Thanks, Ted!)  This may not be
> the final location of it; we may want to set up a separate subdirectory for
> it.

Cool. If you need some help with this, let me know.

> - There's never any firm decision, because we aren't using any specified
> process.
> - Even if there were a firm decision, if no one implements it, the decision
> is irrelevant!

Right.. Code talks. :) But pulling together this points out the issues where
we are most confused as a group. It also shows where we are most aligned.

I've got comments to make -- I'll make em in a bit.

.duncan