Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by AM...@aol.com on 2002/08/01 00:22:59 UTC

Apache + mod_jk + Tomcat + Internet

Hi All

I was wondering if the following is possible

I have a Apache (1.3.26) web server on Linux and a tomcat (4.04) on Windows
XP which communicates via the mod_jk module.  At present they are on the LAN
but due to exceptional reasons I need to separate them and the only way I
will be able to connect them is over the internet. Is it possible for me too
safely have them running as if they were operating on a safe LAN as before
without the need of a VPN?

Regards

Re: Apache + mod_jk + Tomcat + Internet

Posted by "Michael E. Locasto" <lo...@cs.columbia.edu>.
I'm not so sure you want to do this anyway; besides the security
considerations, you're going to take an extra performance hit where every
request for dynamic content has to go back out over the web to your Tomcat
machine and come back ...

Why can't you just put Tomcat on the Linux box too? or apache on Windows? or
run Tomcat standalone...

Regards,
Michael Locasto