Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2006/01/06 17:01:57 UTC

Going to TLP report

Just to report on my push for subprojects to move to TLP. I've hassled 6
subprojects so far:

* Slide: +1 (for a long time) though not very active which is why it's not
          moved.

* Tapestry: They were +1 early last year; waiting until after 4.0 before
             bringing the subject up again.

* Cactus: Seem to be +1 on a testing.apache.org TLP

* JMeter: afk over the holidays. pinged.

* Turbine: No reply on mailling list; at ApacheCon those I talked to were
generally -0. I think it really needs to stand alone as a TLP though.

* Velocity: -0.5 from talking at ApacheCon. It seems far more component
like than framework like (unlike Turbine above), but the existence of
NVelocity strikes me as a reason to go TLP and bring it in.
[nvelocity.sourceforge.net]

Hen

Re: Going to TLP report

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 03:56 -0500, Henri Yandell wrote:

> > * Turbine: No reply on mailling list; at ApacheCon those I talked to were
> > generally -0. I think it really needs to stand alone as a TLP though.
>
> Need to prod.

Don't know about the other committers, but I'm currently over my head in
other stuff and have no network for private use during the week and a
family that demands some attention on the weekends.

So sorry, for not reacting. However, this is basically the problem of
Turbine. We have a number of committers on the -dev list and quite a
number of users on the -users list. But there are none of the users that
seem to suggest to pull them into the -dev space.

Turbine _needs_ more committers before going TLP. So I'd like you to
treat us like Velocity. At least I am currently quite happy being a part
of Jakarta.

	Best regards
		Henning

      RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development
   Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Engineering

       He said: "I'm not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays"

Re: Going to TLP report

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Henri Yandell wrote:

> Just to update.
>
> On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Henri Yandell wrote:
>

>> Just to report on my push for subprojects to move to TLP. I've hassled
>> 6 subprojects so far:
>>

>> * Slide: +1 (for a long time) though not very active which is why it's
>> not
>>         moved.
>

> Prodded.

Maybe an interesting thread about slide :
http://www.mail-archive.com/jackrabbit-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg03982.html

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: Going to TLP report

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Just to update.

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Just to report on my push for subprojects to move to TLP. I've hassled 6
> subprojects so far:
>

> * Slide: +1 (for a long time) though not very active which is why it's not
>         moved.

Prodded.

> * Tapestry: They were +1 early last year; waiting until after 4.0 before
>            bringing the subject up again.

Subject for this week.

> * Cactus: Seem to be +1 on a testing.apache.org TLP
>
> * JMeter: afk over the holidays. pinged.

JMeter + Cactus are both in favour of creating testing.apache.org.

> * Turbine: No reply on mailling list; at ApacheCon those I talked to were
> generally -0. I think it really needs to stand alone as a TLP though.

Need to prod.

> * Velocity: -0.5 from talking at ApacheCon. It seems far more component like
> than framework like (unlike Turbine above), but the existence of NVelocity
> strikes me as a reason to go TLP and bring it in. [nvelocity.sourceforge.net]

Velocity consensus seems to be to remain a component at Jakarta, so I'll
stop prodding them :)

Hen

Re: Going to TLP report

Posted by Felipe Leme <ja...@felipeal.net>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> On the people side of things, that means finding Manual, getting his
> permission and then talking to any other committers (who'll probably be
> fine with it I suspect if Manual has said yes).

Good news - I've found Manuel and he agreed; I also 'grepped' for the
total of authors and there are 13 total. So I have sent another message
to the list explaining the situation and more contributors agreed - the
tally is now 7/13 and I will wait a couple of days before going after
any of the remaining 6 individually...

> Be sure to use the phrase 'Apache DbUnit' somewhere in the email ;)

Or Apache DBUnit...

-- Felipe

Re: Going to TLP report

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Felipe Leme wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> * Cactus: Seem to be +1 on a testing.apache.org TLP
>
> By speaking of the TAO TLP (cool name :-), I 'extended' the invitation to the
> dbunit project (which is currently on SourceForge and facing some
> administrative issues over there) and they agreed.
>
> Actually, by 'they' I mean Eric Pugh, which is the only active committer of
> the project at the moment (though I might be joining the project soon) and
> also a Jakarta PMC member.
>
> The only possible problem is regarding the license, as the code is LGPL based
> and the founder and main author, Manuel LaFlamme, has disappeared for more
> than a year. Do you have any clue on which procedure we should take in this
> case? (note that I was going to do some research before posting this message
> to the lists, but as you brought the subject back to the surface, I'm taking
> a shortcut :-)

It'd depend on how copyright was handled I believe; but assuming it's the
same as most projects, ie) not handled at all, I'm guessing you'd have to
talk to all committers for their permission.

Re: Going to TLP report

Posted by Felipe Leme <ja...@felipeal.net>.