Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Stephen Morley <sm...@post.com> on 2000/03/01 18:08:10 UTC

Configuration with 3.1m2

Well, I have more config problems with 3.1m2 than I thought.

The index.html pages comes up and the examples run, so it can't be too far
gone.

However, I can't get my new context to work at all, either HTML pages or
scriptlets.

Worst (or perhaps indicative) is that I can't open the docs via the
index.html page.

Any suggestions. I'm rather new at servlets but was able to get 3.0 up and
running.

Stephen

BTW: Suggestion to whom ever maintains the Startup/Shutdown bat files:
Put a SetLocal and EngLocal around the call to tomcat.bat so that what ever
is done with environment variables inside that bat file does not change the
environment of the caller.

P.S. I love the servlet-reload. Was testing that with the HelloWorldExample
and that is going to save a lot of time developing (especially for someone
new to Servlets as I end up recompiling quite a bit).

RE: Configuration with 3.1m2

Posted by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com>.
Hi Stephen,

either - put your application under /webapps - in which cse it will be
loaded automatically as a context,
or - create a sub-directory under tomcat for your app and put an entry in
server.xml, like this
        <Context path="/simple" docBase="jweb/simple"
	        defaultSessionTimeOut="30" isWARExpanded="true"
	        isWARValidated="false" isInvokerEnabled="true"
	        isWorkDirPersistent="false"/>

on my macine the directory structure for the above entry is
c:\tomcat\jewb\simple

and simple has a WEB-INF sub-directory that contains the web.xml file,

Kevin Jones
DevelopMentor