Posted to dev@slider.apache.org by Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com> on 2016/08/03 05:27:31 UTC

Draft Podling Report - August 2016

Here is a first draft. Please review by tomorrow, as the deadline for the report is tomorrow.

===============

Slider

Slider is a collection of tools and technologies to package, deploy, and manage long running applications on Apache Hadoop YARN clusters.

Slider has been incubating since 2014-04-29.

1. Apache Slider community/PMC members and the Apache Hadoop YARN community/PMC members have unanimously voted to move Apache Slider into Apache Hadoop YARN. Hence, Apache Slider will not move to TLP.
2.
3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?

No.

The Apache Hadoop YARN community/PMC and Apache Slider community/PMC has decided to merge Slider into YARN, to make fast and significant progress on: YARN-4692 - [Umbrella] Simplified and first-class support for services in YARN. As a result, Apache Slider assets like codebase, documentation, etc. will roll into Apache Hadoop YARN. This effort is being captured in: YARN-5079 : Native YARN framework layer for services. At this point a branch has been created in the Hadoop codebase, and Slider codebase has been selectively migrated. In order to support existing users of Slider, and provide seamless migration, there will be sufficient overlap between the time when a stable state of long running services support is available in some future version of YARN and the time till an independent Slider release is available.

The discussions on the Slider and YARN community DLs can be viewed here -

https://s.apache.org/0hoh
https://s.apache.org/MncV

Work continues on support for complex services (assemblies) and agent-less applications in Slider. These efforts will continue in the new services branch created in YARN.

Date of last release:

2016-06-29 slider-0.91.0-incubating

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

2015-07-07: Yu (Thomas) Liu

===============

-Gour

Re: Draft Podling Report - August 2016

Posted by Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com>.
Thank you Billie. I updated the report with this latest revision here -

https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2016

-Gour

On 8/3/16, 4:47 PM, "Billie Rinaldi" <bi...@gmail.com>> wrote:

+1, looks great. Thanks for drafting this, Gour!

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:

Jon,
Thank you for the +1.

Billie,
Thank you for your comments. I think they make sense. Here is a second
draft, hopefully addressing your feedback. Let me know if I missed
anything and/or if it needs further changes.

===============

Slider

Slider is a collection of tools and technologies to package, deploy, and
manage long running applications on Apache Hadoop YARN clusters.

Slider has been incubating since 2014-04-29.

1. Apache Slider community/PPMC have voted to move portions of Slider into
Apache Hadoop YARN as modules. It is possible that the remaining pieces
will be moved at a later point in time or become obsolete or evolve to
work closely with YARN. Slider PPMC will decide what makes most sense as
we progress through this exciting time.
2. Getting more external users
3. Growth of a diverse set of developers/committers/PMC members is also
crucial towards the final state of Slider

aware of?

No.

The Apache Hadoop YARN community/PMC and Apache Slider community/PPMC has
decided to move portions of Slider into YARN, to make fast and significant
progress on: YARN-4692 - [Umbrella] Simplified and first-class support for
services in YARN. As a result, portions like Slider Core, Application
Master, Client and Tests will roll into Apache Hadoop YARN as module(s).
This effort is being captured in: YARN-5079 : Native YARN framework layer
for services. At this point a branch has been created in the Hadoop
codebase, and Slider has been selectively migrated. As a result of this,
we are already seeing interest in the Hadoop committers/PMC, who have
started to contribute and submit patches to Slider.

In order to support existing users of Slider, and provide seamless
migration, there will be sufficient overlap between the time when a stable
state of long running services support is available in some future version
of YARN and the time till an independent Slider release is available. The
community/PPMC will also determine the future state of Slider as we
navigate through these changes.

The discussions on the Slider and YARN community DLs can be viewed here -

https://s.apache.org/0hoh
https://s.apache.org/MncV

We released version 0.91.0-incubating in June, 2016 with significant work
done on token management, unique component support, SLIDER-906 (Support
for Docker based application packaging with first class YARN support) and
several bug fixes. Work continues on support for complex services
(assemblies) and agent-less applications in Slider. The efforts on the
Core will continue in the new services branch created in YARN.

Date of last release:

2016-06-28 slider-0.91.0-incubating

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#subproject-or-top-level

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com>.
Jon,
[...]

Date of last release:

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.
I think it would be more accurate to say that we voted to move portions of
Slider into YARN, and that as we move into this model the Slider PPMC will
determine what makes sense to happen with the remaining pieces of Slider.
It seems like it's possible the remaining pieces of Slider will become
obsolete, and it's also possible Slider could evolve to continue to provide
additional functionality on top of what is being done in YARN.

Another thing to be aware of is the concept of graduating to a subproject:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#subproject-or-top-level.
What we are proposing sounds kind of like this, except that we are only
moving a piece of Slider. (Saying we "have unanimously voted to move Apache
Slider into Apache Hadoop YARN. Hence, Apache Slider will not move to TLP"
sounds even more like graduating to a subproject.) The Incubator may want a

Posted by Jonathan Maron <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1