Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Rajasekar Elango <re...@salesforce.com> on 2015/10/12 19:46:44 UTC

Does Kafka recover all data if node is reimaged

I was wondering if a kafka broker node get reimaged and all data is wiped
off, Will kafka recover all data on node from replication?

Raja.

Re: Does Kafka recover all data if node is reimaged

Posted by Todd Palino <tp...@gmail.com>.
Yes. As long as you have not reassigned the partitions to other brokers,
the wiped broker will rebuild from replication. Keep in mind, however, that
if you are using the retention by time configuration, you will have 2x
retention on that broker for the length of retention. This means that if
your retention is 1 week, replication will copy over the last week's worth
of data. That data will not be expired for 1 week, as the expiration is
based on the file modification time.

There is work ongoing that will resolve this extra retention problem.

-Todd