Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Richard Hill <RH...@classmates.com> on 2003/03/07 00:41:05 UTC

Handling exceptions with 'ant' task

I'm calling a series of ant files that run Canoo tests (see target "test"
below). If the first test (test1.xml) throws an exception the parent ant
file stops, which prevent the second test from running.

What I would like to do is have the parent ant script continue on by calling
test2.xml when an exception occurs in the first test. Or even better yet, if
the first test throws an exception, run a cleanup task before moving on to
the next test.

How would I do this in the parent ant script?

<project name="Parent Ant Script" default="usage" basedir=".">
       .
       .
       .
    <!-- Run these Canoo tests -->
    <target name="test">
        <ant antfile="test1.xml"/>
        <ant antfile="test2.xml"/>
         .
         .
         .
    </target>
       .
       .
       .
</project>

Thanks,

- Richard

Re: Handling exceptions with 'ant' task

Posted by Dale Anson <da...@germane-software.com>.
See the try/catch/finally task packaged with Antelope
(http://antelope.sourceforge.net). Then you can do:

<project name="Parent Ant Script" default="usage" basedir=".">
       .
       .
       .
    <!-- Run these Canoo tests -->
    <target name="test">
	<try break="no">
        	<ant antfile="test1.xml"/>
        	<ant antfile="test2.xml"/>
		<catch>
			<!-- do other processing here -->
		</catch>
	</try>
         .
         .
         .
    </target>
       .
       .
       .
</project>

The break="no" means to continue with test2 even if test1 fails, which
is handy for what you are doing. The catch block will execute for each
failed task.

Documentation for the "try" task is at:
http://antelope.sourceforge.net/manual/bk03ch07.html

Dale Anson

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@echteman.nl>.
I found this:

www.google.com -> 'ant try catch' ->
http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/ant-contrib/manual/tasks/trycatch.html

Greetings,
Ronald.

On Friday 07 March 2003 00:41, Richard Hill wrote:
> I'm calling a series of ant files that run Canoo tests (see target "test"
> below). If the first test (test1.xml) throws an exception the parent ant
> file stops, which prevent the second test from running.
>
> What I would like to do is have the parent ant script continue on by
> calling test2.xml when an exception occurs in the first test. Or even
> better yet, if the first test throws an exception, run a cleanup task
> before moving on to the next test.
>
> How would I do this in the parent ant script?
>

> <project name="Parent Ant Script" default="usage" basedir=".">
>        .
>        .
>        .
>     <!-- Run these Canoo tests -->