Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> on 2008/06/11 14:49:23 UTC

Merging from yourself fails

Working on the file externals branch this morning, I accidentally tried to merge
trunk into it but merged itself.

With rc8:

$ svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.5.x
$ cd 1.5.x
$ svn merge http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.5.x
subversion/libsvn_ra_neon/util.c:711: (apr_err=160013)
svn: Working copy path 'CHANGES' does not exist in repository

Blair

Re: Merging from yourself fails

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Paul Burba wrote:
> SIDEBAR: This partly gets to the problem of setting mergeinfo on
> copy/move destinations.  I know it's been discussed many times on IRC,
> but we probably don't need to set mergeinfo in all the cases that we
> do.

Agreed.  If mergeinfo-of-source == mergeinfo-of-destination (such as would
happen with any same-directory rename), we can skip that empty mergeinfo stuff.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: Merging from yourself fails

Posted by Paul Burba <pt...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> wrote:
> Mark Phippard wrote:

>>> Thanks.  I'm going to try his patch.  Reviewing the patch is going to
>>> take
>>> more cycles then I have though :)
>>

>> Well, using it is a form of review too :)  Let us know how it goes.
>
> It doesn't work.  I applied the patch to trunk@31704 and I get this error:
>
> $ svn --version
> svn, version 1.6.0 (dev build)
>   compiled Jun 11 2008, 08:09:37
>
> $ svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/file-externals@31704
> $ cd file-externals
> $ svn merge http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk
> subversion/libsvn_ra_neon/util.c:722: (apr_err=160013)
> svn: Working copy path 'www/tasks.html' does not exist in repository

As 'www/tasks.html' has explicit mergeinfo and was copied from
'www/project_tasks.html' in r31665, this problem is almost certainly
issue #3174 'Merge algorithm chokes on subtrees needing special
attention that have been renamed', not issue #3067 (though the two are
closely related).  When Karl copied 'www/project_tasks.html' to
'www/tasks.html', that latter got explicit mergeinfo, inherited from
the root of trunk.

SIDEBAR: This partly gets to the problem of setting mergeinfo on
copy/move destinations.  I know it's been discussed many times on IRC,
but we probably don't need to set mergeinfo in all the cases that we
do.

there are no patches for 3174 yet...let me take a quick look at the
latest 3067 patch and see what needs to be done on top of that to fix
3174 too...it *might* not be too difficult to solve some of the 3174
use cases.

Paul

Re: Merging from yourself fails

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Mark Phippard wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> wrote:
>> Mark Phippard wrote:

>>> It sounds like the same bug.  It is possible the merge of the
>>> issue-3000 branch to trunk has created an additional scenario where we
>>> are running into it.  We have had this in our 1.5.x branch for a long
>>> time, but not trunk.
>>>
>>> I believe we can stop having the problem by removing some of our
>>> subtree mergeinfo, but to date we have chosen not to do any manual
>>> fixes.  If you are using a trunk client, you can apply and review Paul
>>> Burba's patch.
>> Thanks.  I'm going to try his patch.  Reviewing the patch is going to take
>> more cycles then I have though :)
>

> Well, using it is a form of review too :)  Let us know how it goes.

It doesn't work.  I applied the patch to trunk@31704 and I get this error:

$ svn --version
svn, version 1.6.0 (dev build)
    compiled Jun 11 2008, 08:09:37

$ svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/file-externals@31704
$ cd file-externals
$ svn merge http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk
subversion/libsvn_ra_neon/util.c:722: (apr_err=160013)
svn: Working copy path 'www/tasks.html' does not exist in repository

Since I've got no original commits into that branch, I'm going to delete it and
recopy it.

Posted by Paul Burba <pt...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> wrote:
> Mark Phippard wrote:

>>> Thanks.  I'm going to try his patch.  Reviewing the patch is going to
>>> take
>>> more cycles then I have though :)
>>

>> Well, using it is a form of review too :)  Let us know how it goes.
>
> Are we considering the fixes of these issues suitable for inclusion into a
> 1.5.x release?

We absolutely need them in 1.5.1 IMO.

Re: Merging from yourself fails

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> wrote:
> I tried the patch this morning on the newly created file-external branch and
> the merge fails:
>
> subversion/libsvn_ra_neon/util.c:722: (apr_err=160013)
> svn: Working copy path 'www/tasks.html' does not exist in repository
>
> This branch has no commits in it and was copied yesterday.
>
> It does improve merges into 1.5.x.  Doing a full merge of trunk into 1.5.x
> does work, while without the patch it does not.
>
> subversion/libsvn_ra_neon/util.c:711: (apr_err=160013)
> svn: Working copy path 'CHANGES' does not exist in repository

That is sort of good news.  It sounds like the patch is on the right
track, but we still need to fix that other issue Paul is looking at to
be back in business.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Merging from yourself fails

Posted by Paul Burba <pt...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> wrote:
> Mark Phippard wrote:

>>> Are we considering the fixes of these issues suitable for inclusion into
>>> 1.5.x release?
>>
>> Yes, if it is at all possible.  I imagine we need to see what the
>> fixes wind up being though.
>
> I tried the patch this morning on the newly created file-external branch and
> the merge fails:
>
> subversion/libsvn_ra_neon/util.c:722: (apr_err=160013)
> svn: Working copy path 'www/tasks.html' does not exist in repository
>
> This branch has no commits in it and was copied yesterday.
>
> It does improve merges into 1.5.x.  Doing a full merge of trunk into 1.5.x
> does work, while without the patch it does not.
>
> subversion/libsvn_ra_neon/util.c:711: (apr_err=160013)
> svn: Working copy path 'CHANGES' does not exist in repository

Blair,

I saw this also.  It looks like an easy add-on to my latest issue 3067
patch...working on it.

Paul

Re: Merging from yourself fails

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
>> How are we supposed to keep a feature branch up to date with trunk now?
>>
>> Is this fixed in a newer rc than rc8?
>
> No, it is not even fixed in trunk yet.  We decided a long time ago to
> ship 1.5.0 with this bug included.

Here is the patch that was posted recently:

http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2008-06/0208.shtml

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard