Posted to discuss@apachecon.com by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2002/12/18 18:39:15 UTC

Preliminary online session materials

Okey, the first pass of the slides, notes, and handouts from
the ApacheCon 2002 US is now online.  These DO NOT include
the tutorial materials; only those from conference sessions
on Tuesday through Thursday.

The materials are currently just those that were on the CD;
we're working on getting the more complete and up-to-date
materials online as well.

To access the materials, just log on to the ApacheCon site;
under the options for ApacheCon 2002 US there should be
a link.

***NOTE*** Online access to the materials is only available
to REGISTERED DELEGATES.  If you didn't register for the
conference, you will not be able to access the materials.

We haven't reconciled all of the onsite data yet, so if you
registered onsite you probably won't be able to access the
materials, either.

I'm sending this notice to the discussion list rather than
the announcement list in order to get a smaller audience to
test and make sure the stuff is working properly.  I encourage
you to try to download some of the conference materials and
let me know if you have problems.  If none show up (yeah, right!),
I'll make a more general announcement about the availability
of the materials.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Preliminary online session materials

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> i'm pretty sure that's because ie is un-gzipping it but leaving
> it named .gz.  try running acrobat on the foo.pdf.gz, or renaming
> it to get rid of the .gz suffix.  let us know. :-)

yeah, that was it - the one thing I didn't try.  *sigh*

--Geoff

Re: Preliminary online session materials

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> just FYI:
>
>   - the "Rate the sessions you attended"  and "Rate the
> speakers you heard" links appear to be broken.

thanks!

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

> I'm sending this notice to the discussion list rather than
> the announcement list in order to get a smaller audience to
> test and make sure the stuff is working properly.  I encourage
> you to try to download some of the conference materials and
> let me know if you have problems.  If none show up (yeah, right!),
> I'll make a more general announcement about the availability
> of the materials.

just FYI:

  - the "Rate the sessions you attended"  and "Rate the speakers you heard" links appear
to be broken.

  - I'm having a really hard time using MSIE to get my session notes (TU15) back - it
won't create a valid archive when I either save to disk or just open it.  Netscape works
fine, and Opera works ok (it thinks the filename is the extra path info). of course, lynx
is fine :)  maybe a Content-Disposition header or foo.pdf.gz in the path info or something
to force MSIE to DTRT for win32 users?

--Geoff

Re: Preliminary online session materials

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>a couple of points:
>
>firstly, you *did* read the note about the copyrights, correct? :-)

It would be for my personal use.  I like to read such material when a
passenger in trains planes and automobiles.

>secondly, and more importantly, until we've got the latest versions
>of the materials on the site, it would be pointless to make a
>mongo file.

Tradeoff:  most up to date, speed.  Since you know me to be a calm
patient person,  I can see where you'd misinterpertate my preference on
this tradeoff ;-) hehe

>thirdly, any such mongo file will probably be a compressed zip
>archive, in order to be useful to the maximum number of people.

Cool, either way.  Compressed zip takes 25 more seconds to unzip and
burn a CD from.  ISOs are traditional and mountable on Linux so pardon
my platform-specificity.

>however, we didn't think of having a mongo file in the first
>place, so the feedback is valuable.  thanks!

No problem man.  Thank you.

-Andy

Re: Preliminary online session materials

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by George Schlossnagle <ge...@omniti.com>.
Anything we can do to make these transcriptions go faster?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by George Schlossnagle <ge...@omniti.com>.
What is the plan for making the session 'ratings' available?