Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/06 23:46:08 UTC

Re: Second call: Does anyone still really require Java 1.1

---- you Carlos Araya <ca...@cvc.edu> wrote ----
> Some of us do not have the luxury of dictating what our customers
would use,
> How I wish it was different sometimes. So what you're saying if I
understand
> correctly is from 2.3 on screw everyone who is limited on the
platforms they
> can deploy in and let's only worry about the cutting edge. That makes
for a
> very lousy development strategy.

On one hand, I definitely understand your 'non-luxury' viewpoint (and
whoever mentioned MacOS 9 which doesn't yet have JDK 1.2!) - I often am
disappointed I try to use new software that makes a ton of assumptions
about my environment, like requiring newer JDKS/other installed
tools/special OS settings/whatever.

On the other hand, don't forget: this is open source, Apache-style.
That's why I said:

>sc> This is essentially a call for a vote by the Xalan committers
>sc> and call for comments from the Xalan community

in my original reply to Joseph.  All the community members need to have
time to discuss this and present their feedback.  At some point along
the process, the committers also should have a vote on this issue.

While we certainly try to listen to the community as much as we can,
it's still the committers who are doing the work, and de facto the
committers who get to vote on the policy.  Users who want to influence
the project even more are always welcome to do more work, submit a
bunch of patches, and get voted in as committers themselves...  8-)

Oh: a side note: if we do drop 1.1x support, then there's nothing to
stop someone from taking 2.3 and creating a branch to continue a 1.1x
supported Xalan 2.3.xyz version - either on your own, or if you can
become a committer in our cvs.

- Shane
(Did that make any sense?  Sorry to be so pedantic, but at times like
these understanding the structure of the ASF and the subprojects really
makes a difference)

=====
<eof aka="mailto:shane_curcuru@us.ibm.com"
 "http://www.otnemem.com/"=.sig />

http://greetings.yahoo.com

Re: Second call: Does anyone still really require Java 1.1

Posted by Carlos Araya <ca...@cvc.edu>.
Shane:

On 02/06/02 14:46, "Shane Curcuru" <sh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ---- you Carlos Araya <ca...@cvc.edu> wrote ----
>> Some of us do not have the luxury of dictating what our customers
> would use,
>> How I wish it was different sometimes. So what you're saying if I
> understand
>> correctly is from 2.3 on screw everyone who is limited on the
> platforms they
>> can deploy in and let's only worry about the cutting edge. That makes
> for a
>> very lousy development strategy.
>
> On one hand, I definitely understand your 'non-luxury' viewpoint (and
> whoever mentioned MacOS 9 which doesn't yet have JDK 1.2!) - I often am
> disappointed I try to use new software that makes a ton of assumptions
> about my environment, like requiring newer JDKS/other installed
> tools/special OS settings/whatever.
>
> On the other hand, don't forget: this is open source, Apache-style.
> That's why I said:
I was replying to the specific point made in the message I replied to and
not trying to make assumptions about the Xerces project.

>> sc> This is essentially a call for a vote by the Xalan committers
>> sc> and call for comments from the Xalan community
>
> in my original reply to Joseph.  All the community members need to have
> time to discuss this and present their feedback.  At some point along
> the process, the committers also should have a vote on this issue.
>
> While we certainly try to listen to the community as much as we can,
> it's still the committers who are doing the work, and de facto the
> committers who get to vote on the policy.  Users who want to influence
> the project even more are always welcome to do more work, submit a
> bunch of patches, and get voted in as committers themselves...  8-)
>
> Oh: a side note: if we do drop 1.1x support, then there's nothing to
> stop someone from taking 2.3 and creating a branch to continue a 1.1x
> supported Xalan 2.3.xyz version - either on your own, or if you can
> become a committer in our cvs.
>
> - Shane
> (Did that make any sense?  Sorry to be so pedantic, but at times like
> these understanding the structure of the ASF and the subprojects really
> makes a difference)

It makes perfect sense and it certainly it's not pedantic. I overreacted a
little over how the subject was approached on the message I replied to. I
also understand that community votes only count as advisory votes, not
something that is written in stone.

Thanks for at least letting us voice our concerns

--
Carlos E. Araya
---+ WebCT Administrator/Trainer

email               carlos@cvc.edu
web                 http://www.cvc1.org/ (work)
                    http://www.silverwolf-net.net (personal)
phone               408 257 0420 (work)
PGP Fingerprint:    E629 5DFD 7EAE 4995 E9D7  3D2F 5A9F 0CE7 DFE7 1756

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons....for you are crunchy and  taste
good with ketchup and mayonnaise.."