Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com> on 2006/04/10 07:06:35 UTC

Re: why is entity ref expanded in the internal subset (and related questions)?...

Hi Jacob,

Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> wrote on 04/08/2006 01:32:28 AM:

<snip/>

> Why are the contents expanded?  Why not just give me "%BigEntity;"
> from the original document?  Is there any recourse?

startParameterEntity() [1] and endParameterEntity() [2] notify you of the
start and end of a parameter entity. You could just ignore the events in
between them and write the entity reference instead of its replacement
text.

> A second problem is that reparsing this file gives me the following
> parsing error...
>
> test9.gen.xml:4: Error: White space is required after "<!ENTITY" in
> the entity declaration.
>
> The parse error seems to be with the external entity declaration
> "%BigEntity".  If I change that to "% BigEntity", the parse error
> goes away.  But, the "name" parameter passed to me in the
> externalEntityDecl() method is exactly "%BigEntity".  If the parser
> knows it can't deal with that, why doesn't it pass me "%
> BigEntity"?  Seems odd that I'd be forced to split the "%" apart from
> the rest of the entiy name manually.

SAX requires that parameter entities be reported [3] with '%' prepended to
their names. XNI adopted this naming convention since that's what SAX
expects.

> thanks,
>
> Jake

[1]
http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/javadocs/xni/org/apache/xerces/xni/XMLDTDHandler.html#startParameterEntity(java.lang.String
, org.apache.xerces.xni.XMLResourceIdentifier, java.lang.String,
org.apache.xerces.xni.Augmentations)
[2]
http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/javadocs/xni/org/apache/xerces/xni/XMLDTDHandler.html#endParameterEntity(java.lang.String
, org.apache.xerces.xni.Augmentations)