Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sam <le...@chello.at> on 2012/09/06 11:06:19 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] scoreboard is full, not at MaxRequestWorkers

Yes, I still see such messages even after upgrading to 2.4.3

Posted by Sam <le...@chello.at>.
Changing KeepAlive to Off does not help, the issue occurs at this
point where obviously due to MaxConnectionsPerChild a Process
should become killed.

As observed, the problem is that (in the example stated) both
PIDs 11454 and 16555 do not become killed because of these
remaining connections, which is ok, since these could be
remaining downloads or something to a client.
But then, Apache does neither fork new processes to accept
new connections nor does it kill the both PIDs (which is as just
statet, ok) - the scoreboard is full then in that case and new
connections can not be accepted.

As I see a solution to this problem is that the main httpd process
should be 1. able to fork new processes 2. I see no reason why
the scoreboard is full then, 1+2 connections is 3, not 2x64=128,
in that given case 125 free slots are wasted since they are blocked
by the 2 remaining processes which show connections which fill up
the scoreboard, those are shown as "G"s in the scoreboard for both
PIDs - that should not be the case.

Since 2.4.2 (the first I've used) I did not understand why a
finishing/killing process shows all "G"s - however, that issue did
not occur in 2.2 when I used MPM event in experimental stage, but
in 2.2 I did not have that problem, the connections were counted as
usual. Probably because lots of the code was taken from MPM worker,
where the calculations were still correct, until fully adopted to 2.4.

By this theory, also MPM worker might experience this, however, due to
the different design MPM worker also may never get to that point to
show this behavior and error messages in the log.

So my conclusion is also a question: why are finishing processes showing
all "G"s in the scoreboard, and/or why are these finishing threads all
counted in the scoreboard (here: 2x64 instead of 1+2, causing 125 threads
to be wasted).

I would expect this issue to become much more important when most people
upgrade to 2.4, also I clearly would say this is a bug.

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:57 AM, Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM, Sam <le...@chello.at> wrote:
>>
>> Never, the server is not even under high load. There
>> are several thousand vhosts, it is about shared webhosting.
>>
>> This is what server-status says:
>>
>> PID    Connections     Threads    Async connections
>> total    accepting    busy    idle    writing    keep-alive    closing
>> 21388    257    yes  44   20    0  171   44
>> 11454    2      no    0    0    0    0    0
>> 16555    1      no    0    0    0    0    0
>> Sum      260         44   20    0  171   44
>>

> How about those 171 in keep-alive? What are your KeepAlive and
> KeepAliveTimeout settings? Maybe try switching KeepAlive off? Whit only 192
> threads and KeepAlive On you are imposing DoS on your self in case of long
> timeout.

OP is using the event MPM, which uses a single thread to handle all
keep alive connections and writing connections, so the number of keep
alive sockets is not really relevant.

Cheers

Tom

Re: [users@httpd] scoreboard is full, not at MaxRequestWorkers