Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Administrator <ad...@bankaltim.co.id> on 2014/04/08 03:27:45 UTC

Permission to use Firefox Browser

Dear Open Office,

BPD Kaltim is one of Region Bank in Indonesia, our central office located at
Samarinda,  East Borneo. We have tested Open Office Program as alternative
program for documents edit, as a result Open Office Program was the most
compatibilty at client or server computers. We have plan to use Open Office
Program as Program for  documents editfor our client and server pc. Trough
this email we would like to ask Open Office Program permission to use Open
Office  Program as default program for documents editin our company to
fulfill our IT Risk Regulation. Thank you for your consideration, we look
forward to hearing from you soon.

Regard,
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AND ACCOUNTING DIVISION
 BANK PEMBANGUNAN DAERAH KALTIMANTAN TIMUR
 Phone : +62 541 735500 ext 311 & 314 ||
Email: admin@bankaltim.co.id
Website: http://www.bankaltim.co.id [http://www.bankaltim.co.id/]

Re: Permission to use Firefox Browser

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Unless there's something in your request I'm missing, you don't need
anyone's permission to use OpenOffice and/or Firefox.

Good luck, and we're glad OpenOffice has worked out so well for you!

Jeff Deutsch
Speaker & Life Coach
A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
http://www.asplint.com

"Listen to the universe while it whispers before it has to shout."
Marion Grobb Finkelstein, Communication Catalyst --
http://www.MarionSpeaks.com

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 7:50 PM, Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net> wrote:
> [...]

That  is certainly how it feels to users, that they don't need
permission to use OpenOffice.  But a more correct way to say it is
that the Apache License gives the permission to everyone, and that no
*additional* permission is needed.  Any time you copy a creative work
(beyond "fair use") you need permission.  But with open source
software the permission, instead of being negotiated or sold, is given
at no cost to all and described in an open source license.  But it is
still permission.

The complication comes from companies performing audits of their
internal business controls, and trying to ascertain whether they are
legitimately using the software they are using.  They might only be
familiar with commercial licensing terms.  In those case I like to
point them to the license, since that is the statement of their
permissions.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net>.