Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by "Bouschen, Michael" <Mi...@akquinet.de.INVALID> on 2021/06/13 21:56:08 UTC

Re: Autoboxing with converters

Hi Craig,

the spec changes sound good to me.

If we do not like this new functionality inculding auto-boxing and converters, I can add an additional converter IntToStringConverter, that is then used for the int field of PCPoint, etc.
But I think we should support auto-boxing and converters, so I agree with the proposed changes.

Regards Michael

I've reviewed the latest test cases for JDO-709 proposed by Michael. The test cases introduce functionality not yet described by the specification.

So I've added the following to Chapter 6 in the Primitive types section.

Fields and properties of primitive types may use a converter in order to convert values to and from database types. Because of auto-boxing, the converter may be defined to use the Java object type corresponding to the primitive type.

And I've added the following to Chapter 6 in the Immutable Object Class types section.

Fields and properties of immutable object types may use a converter in order to convert values to and from database types.

Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>

--
Michael Bouschen
akquinet tech@spree GmbH

E-Mail: michael.bouschen@akquinet.de<ma...@akquinet.de>
Web:   www.akquinet.de<http://www.akquinet.de/>

Geschäftsführung: Martin Weber, Dr. Torsten Fink, Heinz Wilming
Amtsgericht Berlin HRB 86780 • USt.-Id. Nr.: DE 225 964 680

[Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/akquinet>  [XING]<https://www.xing.com/companies/akquinetag>  [LinkedIn]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/akquinet-ag>  [Twitter]<https://twitter.com/akquinet>

Re: Autoboxing with converters

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

> On Jun 13, 2021, at 2:56 PM, Bouschen, Michael <Mi...@akquinet.de.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hi Craig,
>
> the spec changes sound good to me.
>
> If we do not like this new functionality including auto-boxing and converters,

I think it would be more work to try to disable auto-boxing since that is a Java language feature.

> I can add an additional converter IntToStringConverter, that is then used for the int field of PCPoint, etc.
> But I think we should support auto-boxing and converters, so I agree with the proposed changes.

Cool.

Regards,
Craig

> Regards Michael
>

> I've reviewed the latest test cases for JDO-709 proposed by Michael. The test cases introduce functionality not yet described by the specification.
>
> So I've added the following to Chapter 6 in the Primitive types section.
>
> Fields and properties of primitive types may use a converter in order to convert values to and from database types. Because of auto-boxing, the converter may be defined to use the Java object type corresponding to the primitive type.
>
> And I've added the following to Chapter 6 in the Immutable Object Class types section.
>
> Fields and properties of immutable object types may use a converter in order to convert values to and from database types.
>
> Craig
>
> Craig L Russell
> clr@apache.org <ma...@apache.org><mailto:clr@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>>
>

> --
> Michael Bouschen
> akquinet tech@spree GmbH
> Bülowstraße 66 • D-10783 Berlin
> Tel:   +49 30 235520-33
> Fax:  +49 30 217520-12
>
> E-Mail: michael.bouschen@akquinet.de <ma...@akquinet.de><mailto:michael.bouschen@akquinet.de <ma...@akquinet.de>>
> Web:   www.akquinet.de <http://www.akquinet.de/><http://www.akquinet.de/ <http://www.akquinet.de/>>
>
> Geschäftsführung: Martin Weber, Dr. Torsten Fink, Heinz Wilming
> Amtsgericht Berlin HRB 86780 • USt.-Id. Nr.: DE 225 964 680
>
> [Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/akquinet <http://www.facebook.com/akquinet>>  [XING]<https://www.xing.com/companies/akquinetag <https://www.xing.com/companies/akquinetag>>  [LinkedIn]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/akquinet-ag <https://www.linkedin.com/company/akquinet-ag>>  [Twitter]<https://twitter.com/akquinet <https://twitter.com/akquinet>>

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org