Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by eugene akerman <eu...@yahoo.com> on 2003/12/08 22:49:32 UTC

Chainsaw

Hi Scott, Hi Paul
So I am looking at chainsaw and it looks great. I was using LogFactor until now but I feel I should go with Chainsaw.
Is it possible to get an historic point of view on Chainsaw. For example Why did you guys decide to work on chainsaw as opposed to logFactor ?
Thank you for your answer

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now

Re: Chainsaw

Posted by Paul Smith <pa...@lawlex.com.au>.
On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 08:49, eugene akerman wrote:
> Hi Scott, Hi Paul
> So I am looking at chainsaw and it looks great. I was using LogFactor
> until now but I feel I should go with Chainsaw.
> Is it possible to get an historic point of view on Chainsaw. For example
> Why did you guys decide to work on chainsaw as opposed to logFactor ?
> Thank you for your answer

For me personally, I found the original Chainsaw on SourceForge, and
then found it had become part of the log4j package, so I guess I had
become accustomed to Chainsaw, and had some affinity for it.  LogFactor5
is great, there's no doubt about it.

Since the Receiver framework was added to log4j, we've been able to
leverage a lot of log4j core code.

If you look at the code for Chainsaw v2 and compare it with the
original, there is not a lot left of the original apart from some of the
basic principles, and one might say in hindsight it might have been
quicker to start from scratch, but that wouldn't be as fun.

In some ways it has been like a house renovation. It has had some walls
knocked out, floors sanded & laquered, painted, a new kitchen, a brand
new deck out the front, and had some new furniture put in.

Still feels like the old place, only newer.

cheers,

Paul