Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Gr...@servicecanada.gc.ca on 2006/12/05 17:27:47 UTC

4.1 Stability (Hi Jesse! :P)

Okay, I know Jesse is probably fed up with these types of questions! And we've gone over it before, about 4.1, 5.0, roadmaps, etc, a couple weeks ago.

The 4.1 "snapshot" that's out right now, for a relatively simple app - no custom components, hivemind services, Java 1.4 so no annotations, and maybe a sprinkle of DOJO stuff (hence the reason to switch to 4.1!!) - would moving from 4.0 to 4.1 be a horrible idea?

I skimmed over a lot of the open issues on JIRA and none seem too severe, or too widespread to some of the "proven" core of tapestry. Our application is for our internal staff (a dozen or so), and since it's relatively small, is usually decently tested for bugs. So it's not like I'm re-writing Amazon.com or something with Tap4.1 and will lose billions of dollars over a bug..

4.1 looks really nice, and it would be great to jump in, rather then do it in 4.0 and then re-do it in 4.1 in 6 months. That said, go for it? All comments apprieciated!

Thanks,
Greg

Re: 4.1 Stability (Hi Jesse! :P)

Posted by Ron Piterman <rp...@gmx.net>.
If you need ajax, you can't go around 4.1 - if you don't, 4.0 has some
advantages (as far as I can see) - such as much smaller javascript
footprint for form validation, and stability -

However, Jesse does a great work in fixing bugs in 4.1 very fast, I go
to sleep in Europe and Jesse fixes the bugs at day time in the states,
so the next morning a new version is out - thats amazing !

It is not so easy to recommend anything in active development for
production - I can just say - I am working on a project which should go
in production on Jan 1st and am using 4.1 ---

Cheers,
Ron

Re: 4.1 Stability (Hi Jesse! :P)

Posted by Cyrille37 <cy...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jesse,

Re: 4.1 Stability (Hi Jesse! :P)

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
I think it would reckless of me to recommend anything that may or may
not affect anyone's job/career..

That being said - if it were me - yeah I'd totally go for it.

It's probably been a mistake to wait so long for 4.1.1 to come out
anyways. Probably I'll just fix this validation message issue and
release it.

On 12/5/06, Greg.L.Cormier@servicecanada.gc.ca
<Gr...@servicecanada.gc.ca> wrote:
> Okay, I know Jesse is probably fed up with these types of questions! And we've gone over it before, about 4.1, 5.0, roadmaps, etc, a couple weeks ago.
>
> The 4.1 "snapshot" that's out right now, for a relatively simple app - no custom components, hivemind services, Java 1.4 so no annotations, and maybe a sprinkle of DOJO stuff (hence the reason to switch to 4.1!!) - would moving from 4.0 to 4.1 be a horrible idea?
>
> I skimmed over a lot of the open issues on JIRA and none seem too severe, or too widespread to some of the "proven" core of tapestry. Our application is for our internal staff (a dozen or so), and since it's relatively small, is usually decently tested for bugs. So it's not like I'm re-writing Amazon.com or something with Tap4.1 and will lose billions of dollars over a bug..
>
> 4.1 looks really nice, and it would be great to jump in, rather then do it in 4.0 and then re-do it in 4.1 in 6 months. That said, go for it? All comments apprieciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer