Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2001/07/29 04:29:05 UTC

Re: Scope

In message <OF...@raleigh.ibm.com>, "Sam Ruby
" writes:
>Duplication (e.g., multiple templating technologies) doesn't bother me so
>much as different focus.
>
>An RDB is a big endeavor.

I'm sorry, I didn't indicate that I wasn't addressing the RDB proposal,
but rather the ancillary comments about Ant, James, Log4J, Regexp, and
"other projects" being out of scope.  My personal opinion about an RDB,
is "why do you need yet another one, much less one in Java?"  I don't
see the point and would leave it to others to enlighten me.  Please don't
though.  I stayed out of the RDB discussion because I didn't have anything
useful to offer being of the "what's wrong with PostgresSQL if you can't
afford Oracle, DB2, or SQL Server?" mindset, as well as the Java is not
well-suited to building relational databases mindset.  Again, that's not
meant to start a debate.  Keep the "scope" thread to articulating the
consequences, adverse and benign, of being "out of scope."  Sam has
indirectly pointed out that there are different degrees.

daniel