Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> on 2004/12/01 12:19:10 UTC

Re: Picking up the ball from Niclas (ugh!) on Velocity

On 2004-11-30 18:10:34, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote

 > We tried, he's not listening, so we route around him.

You, as a group, are the ones who are not listening. I've been playing
this game for several years. Small breakages are part of the
development cycle. You can either be pragmatic about the breakage or
blow it out of proportion.

As discussed on the members list, Gump will serve its social purpose
if it is used wisely. If gump becomes dogma, then it will just upset
the people you are trying to get closer to.

Please take this as friendly advice,

--
Ceki Gülcü

  The complete log4j manual:  http://qos.ch/eclm
  Professional log4j support: http://qos.ch/log4jSupport

Re: Picking up the ball from Niclas (ugh!) on Velocity

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.

On 2004-11-30 11:19:33, Eric Pugh wrote:

 > Now, partly that may be a communication thing..  If Log4j fails, they get
 > emailed.  If log4j breaks every body else, they don't...  Without active
 > involvement by a group, the prospect of keeping things working becomes a
 > thankless task (witness Niclas's frustration).   I thought "hey, I'll try
 > and help" and ran into, in an hour, the same frustration Niclas sees..  I am
 > not a committer (or even involved beyond the occasional email) with Log4j or
 > Velocity, so who do I got to prod for action?

This reminds me of a joke.

A bloke with rather unusual sexual abilities is invited to give a
public demonstration. A large crowd gathers in an arena while the
bloke does it with 1, then 2, then 3 consenting adults of the opposite
sex. The crowd begins to chant 10, 11, .., 95. At the 96th the bloke
gets tired. He makes a last ditch effort, 97 ... 98.

The crowd falls silent, and he makes it to 99. The 100th is too much
for our bloke, who gives up. The crowd erupts yelling "Homosexual,
Homesexual."

If at the slightest sign of breakage you are going to blame people for
being unfriendly or obtuse, Gump will not succeed in bringing people
closer together.