Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Andre Reiter <a....@web.de> on 2010/10/13 14:57:25 UTC

Architecture

Hello everybody,

i'm evaluating hadoop for a new platform.
the application is a web based application, and the challange is to handle
requests up to 1.000.000 times per second. this can actually be solved by
load ballanced webservers.
The problem now is to persist user data at real time. Let's say every
request appends some data to the user record, i.e. 100 bytes are appended.
The record would have an identifier placed in the cookie.

The problem now is to look up the user record for every request at runtime.
Is it possible to get the user record with the information about all former
requests in a short time i.e. 50 ms ???

i hove no experience with hadoop yet

every help would be very appreciated
thanks in advance

best regards
andre

Re: Architecture

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
Here is a presentation from Hadoop Summit 2009 "HBase goes Realtime"
that gives numbers for latency with HBase. Redirecting to common-user.

http://bit.ly/aJEwYj

-- Owen

Re: Architecture

Re: Architecture

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
> Not to sound argumentative but because perhaps I have misunderstood, Hbase doesn't seem well suited to realtime requests at all. Perhaps you could elaborate on the architecture you would use to support this application?

Quite the opposite. HBase is all about realtime requests. It's
optimized for it. Here's the description from the homepage:
"HBase is the Hadoop database. Use it when you need random, realtime
read/write access to your Big Data. This project's goal is the hosting
of very large tables -- billions of rows X millions of columns -- atop
clusters of commodity hardware.

Cheers,
Lars

Re: Architecture

Posted by daniel sikar <ds...@gmail.com>.
Perhaps in-memory data grids could be considered?

Re: Architecture

Posted by Jonathan Creasy <jo...@announcemedia.com>.

Re: Architecture

Posted by Tim Robertson <ti...@gmail.com>.

RE: Architecture

Posted by Anil Uberoi <an...@kitenga.com>.
Andre,

Hope all is well.
I 'd like to invite you to check out www.kitenga.com
We'd be more than happy to help.
Best regards,
Anil

Anil Uberoi | CEO | Kitenga | Reinventing Information
www.kitenga.com | 510.507.3399