Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Shantian Purkad <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2011/05/09 19:00:39 UTC

Re: So many unexpected "Lost task tracker" errors making the job to be killed Options

I have been seeing this a lot on my cluster as well.

This typically happens for me if there are many maps (more than 5000) in a job.

Here is my cluster summary

342316 files and directories, 94294 blocks = 436610 total. Heap Size is 258.12
MB / 528 MB (48%)

Configured Capacity : 26.57 TB
DFS Used : 19.52 TB
Non DFS Used : 606.9 GB
DFS Remaining : 6.46 TB
DFS Used% : 73.46 %
DFS Remaining% : 24.31 %
Live Nodes  : 6
Dead Nodes  : 0
Decommissioning Nodes  : 0
Number of Under-Replicated Blocks : 57
I am trying to load a 1TB data from one table to another using Hive queries. It
works well if I do it on small data sizes (around 500GB at a time).
It is simple query insert into dest table (dynamic partition)  select a, b, c
from source table.

Any idea how can I get this working. (Compressing the Map output to improve the
performance) Have 8 Maps and 6 reduces per node.

Thanks and Regards,
Shantian