Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Eric Pugh <ep...@www.opensourceconnections.com> on 2005/09/07 01:58:57 UTC

Extending login options with CAS

Hi all,

I've been investigating add another login option beyond BASIC,FORM, etc to
Tomcat.  According to the Servlet 2.4 spec it appears that adding another
"vendor supplied" login method is allowed.

I've tweaked my copy of Tomcat to add the type "CAS" that support the Central
Authentication Service method:
http://tp.its.yale.edu/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=CentralAuthenticationService.

I did this by adding extra properties to LoginConfig, tweaking the digester
rules to read in extra cas-login-config/* properties from web.xml, and adding
CasAuthenticator.

This did require editing a couple of Tomcat files.  I am a) wondering if there
is a less intrusive way, and b) wondering if this would make a good contribution?

I don't quite understand why Tomcat has the LoginConfig, instead of just
instantiating an Authenticator via the Digester ruleset and attaching that to
the appropriate realm.  If the Digester WebRuleSet was in an xml file then you
could extend authentications without making any Java code changes I think..

Eric